Chinese-Forums

What to do now?

opper567

I am a high school student going to be a senior this year. I took two summer college Chinese courses (101 and 102) in America. I finished 101 with a 99 average and will finish 102 this Wednesday with around the same score. I am really interested in Chinese and perhaps want to get a Minor or even a Major in college. Anyway, my High School does not offer Chinese, therefore I will not be studying Chinese in school for an entire school year. Does anyone have any ideas on how I can continue to progress or atleast stay the same so that when I go to college and take 201 and 202 and not fail?

I live in Middlesex County, NJ. Middlesex County College only offers a 12 session non-credit course that isn't equal to 101... Thanks for the idea anyway Jive Turkey.

However, in my town, East Brunswick, about 10% of the students speak Mandarin in their homes. I probably can practice my Chinese just by hanging around school...

To be honest, I would just say do whatever you will enjoy doing with Chinese - that will stop you losing your motivation because of getting bored.

If you enjoy sitting down and studying it then get a set of textbooks at the appropriate level and work through them. If you're a movie fan get a bunch of Chinese movies / tv shows and watch them, making notes as you go.

Roddy

Another thing to consider... if you only learned simplified characters or only learned traditional characters, you may try picking up the other. Some colleges insist (understandably, in my opinion) on students learning both, and those that only know one type may be hendered because of this.