Chinese-Forums

Receiver address on envelopes

NadjaGER

• New Members

Most likely, the rubric for my question is not the best choice, but ...

I am certain somebody could help me to to put this Shanghai address in (the right) order ?.

I want to write a letter to my niece in Shanghai, ...

... but now I am not sure if the order I noticed her address would be the right order to label an envelope.

I noticed it like that:

House 1xy, Block X

123 Lxy Hx Quxyz Pxyz Road

XY Lxy District

Shanghai

20xxx0

Jiushi Western Suburban

I know (from GOOGLE), the postcode should be on top and "VR China" must be written in the last row.

But what about the rest of the location information  (these are much more then I usually have to write in German addresses) and where to put her name in?

I'm curious about an answer and (even on this little topic) looking forward to learn something new. 

Thanks und Danke schon mal vorab.

There are two issues here:

1. How an address in China should be written in Chinese.

2. How a romanized or English address in China should be written on a letter sent from outside China.

The first is written big-to-small: country-province-city-district and so forth, ending with the addressee.

The second depends on what your overseas postal administration wants. Usually you can follow Western-style formatting, that is, addressee-to-country. In the U.S., at least, you can use Chinese characters, but you have to also interline romanization, and include "China" and the city in English. (At least that's what the rulebook says.)

• Helpful 1

Shanghai Niece

House 1xy, Block X

123 Lxy Hx Quxyz Pxyz Road

XY Lxy District

Shanghai

20xxx0

Not sure what 'Jiushi Western Suburban' is or where that should go. Naming city, city district, street, and the rest of the exact address should be enough.

You could also add her phone number.

If possible get your niece to email you the address in Chinese, then print it out and stick it on the envelope, with the necessary English to get it to China. At the very least get the zip code nice and clear so it gets reasonably close. 

What you've given is a bit confused, but assuming she's actually in Jiushi Western Suburban *Garden*, which looks to be a very nice villa development, hope you're getting to go and visit, and that you can't put any Chinese on...

ZIP CODE in big numbers

Shanghai

District

Road

Jiushi Western...

House /  Block

Name

PR CHINA

Put the PR China bit wherever your post people expect to see it, it won't matter once it goes on the plane. I suspect the local post office will be used to mail to that development not being in Chinese.

• Helpful 1

• New Members

The format of the address:

House/apartment No.

Street/Road

District

City

PR China

Postcode:###

You can write the name of the receiver on the cover of the envelope.It doesn't matter if you slightly change the format, people still can get that:)