Chinese-Forums

Visa application for PRC: mentioning Taiwan

mungouk

I'm going to apply for my first PRC visa soon.  One of the questions on the application form asks for "Other countries or territories you visited in the last 12 months".

I've been to Taiwan in the last year... is it safe to write "Taiwan" or will it cause problems if I don't write "Chinese Taipei"?

I'm probably being paranoid, but have read several news stories in the last few months of companies getting sanctioned due to including "Taiwan" in lists of countries on their websites etc.

If it only asked for "countries," then maybe listing "Taiwan" would raise hackles of the super-sensitive.

But since it apparently asks for "countries or territories," then "Taiwan" would seem safe.

Note this problem arises all the time in the Mainland, and a convention seems to have been worked out. For example, in airports you'll see signs pointing to "International and Regional Departures." Sometimes you'll see the term "cross-border" referring to travel to HK, Macau and Taiwan.

"Taiwan Region" would certainly be safe. Just don't include "R.O.C." in there anywhere.

Oh, when and you're in the Mainland, don't get cute at the post office and try to send something to Taipei at domestic rates.

• Like 1
  • Helpful 1

I think you're being paranoid here. The guy or girl in the visa won't give toss. Have the people applying won't even be native English speakers let alone be aware of the political situation of Taiwan. 

Chinese people themselves just refer to Taiwan as Taiwan. 

But you could just err on the side of caution and do as above if you feel more comfortable with it. 

31 minutes ago, DavyJonesLocker said:

Have the people applying won't even be native English speakers let alone be aware of the political situation of Taiwan.

Most Chinese I've met are acutely aware of the political situation of Taiwan, or at least of the PRC point of view on this situation. Anyone who has had a secondary school education will have had it drilled into them that Taiwan is an inalienable part of China etc etc. Anyone working in a visa office will likely know and care a little bit more than the average Zhou.

That said, I think it's unlikely that you will have any hassle even if you did write ROC. My estimate is that China still has bigger fish to fry than a tourist who didn't think about all the intricacies surrounding their earlier trip. (Big hotel chains and airlines are bigger fish.)

1 hour ago, Lu said:

Most Chinese I've met are acutely aware of the political situation of Taiwan, or at least of the PRC point of view on this situation. Anyone who has had a secondary school education will have had it drilled into them that Taiwan is an inalienable part of China etc etc. Anyone working in a visa office will likely know and care a little bit more than the average Zhou.

I'm referring to foreigners (like the OP) not chinese nationals, who are applying for a Chinese Visa. Many would be clueless about Taiwan's status.