Chinese-Forums

[Audio] How's my Pronunciation

nipponman

Dennis:

These all sound right to me:

wo2 ye3 xiang2 mai3 bi3 ji4 ben3

wo3 ye2 xiang2 mai3 bi3 ji4 ben3

wo2 ye2 xiang2 mai3 bi3 ji4 ben3

"wo2 ye1" and "wo3 ye1" dont sound right to me.

Also I would like to point out that, slight variations in tone sandhi are a little different than speaking with wrong tones in general. As I said before, tones are not the most important, but they are not unimportant.

now nipponman's file:

世界地图,你到中华人民共和在亚洲东部,太平洋的西。她是一个有几千年历史的文明古国,面积跟欧洲差不多。在这么大的一个国家里,到处都美丽的山,迷的景色。她深深地吸引着世界各国的游者。中国的山不但很美,而且很中国的古老化的化,紧紧结合在一起。在游览名胜古迹的候,你可以听很多神话说和史故事,还可以看到古代留下的章,欣赏他们的书法艺术。在风景最美的地方,还常常有很多古代的园林,建筑和文物。游者就像走进了一座座文化术的宝库,不但欣赏了里的色,而且了解了中国老的文化。

red: tone

cyan: pronunciation

I might have missed some.

开 not flat enough

地图 地 sounded weird

可 sounded like ke4

看 sounded like kan1

国 sounded like guo1

西 sounded like xi4

安 sounded like agn

有美丽 sounded weird, but I dont know what's wrong

水 sounded like chui

旅 sounded like lv4

文 sounded like an english "wen"

时 sounded like shi1 and 传 like chuan1

地方 your fourth tone is weak :)

艺 sounded like yi2

景 jing3 not jing1

古 changes to 2nd tone

Thanks again, I still have much work to do. Yeah, but I guess you could tell I got a little tired near the end and just let my pronunciation go.

nipponman

P.s. Are there any natives that are willing to try this? I think it would help all of us non-natives to hear some natural chinese pronunciation.

Nipponman, as a non-native speaker, I am not in the best position to give a verdict, so I leave that to Quest and others. But I just want to say, I noticed your birthday in your profile. If only I had accomplished so much when I was 18! I hope you don't think I am being condescending to mention your age: I am not, and I have no reason to be so. It is just that with three languages at 18, you are truly flying. Please excuse me if I strike a discordant note by saying this. It will be interesting to see what sort of job you end up getting! If you are still on this board, you can let us know! But in point of fact, a native speaker, Shibo, did provide a WAVE file at http://www.chinese-forums.com/showpost.php?p=44821&postcount=18

But I just want to say, I noticed your birthday in your profile. If only I had accomplished so much when I was 18!

Heh, well since my birthday isn't till December, I'm technically still 17, but I thank you for your complement. I want to be a computer programmer, hopefully I'll have a board of my own!

Anyway, I forgot that link by shibo. Thanks for showing it to me,

nipponman

fenlan's sounds better to me, but for some reason I can understand everything without straining when nipponman says it. Like I mentioned in the other thread, I get lost part of the way through sentences in fenlan's and only understand about half of the passage.

• 2 weeks later...

After heard your reading audio file, I think your pronunciation is a bit stiff and it seems you don’t shift tones naturally. (If I say something wrong, please excuse me!)

According to your Chinese level, I would like to recommend you to sing some Chinese Karaoke songs, if possible, so that you can master the Chinese pronunciation and rhythm more naturally.

Thanks!