Chinese-Forums

Skills refresh - online classes

mjl014

• New Members

I graduated from college pretty fluent in mandarin (reading, writing, speaking), but in the 4 years since, I've had basically no opportunity to practice and have forgotten a great deal of my knowledge. Because I'm working full time and about to start grad school in the fall, I'm hoping to do some online courses. Has anyone ever used MyMandarinHouse.com or eChineselearning.com? Would be extremely grateful for any suggestions on how to get back on track since I find myself having to look up so many characters I once knew :(

Thank you!!

On 4/25/2018 at 11:03 PM, mjl014 said:

Would be extremely grateful for any suggestions on how to get back on track since I find myself having to look up so many characters I once knew

Welcome to the forum, @mjl014 -- There's lots of information here on this topic, it's something which is frequently asked. Use the search box at the top right of the page to read some previous responses to this question. Then return for any needed clarifications or to ask follow up questions. 

• New Members

Hi @abcdefg, I did try going through the forums but did not find any information on the the websites I mentioned, nor could I find any specific online courses that were not just for the HSK. If you have any additional pointers, I'd be grateful for the help. Thank you!

Have a look at edx . They do online Chinese courses, I have taken some myself and they were good. Also Coursera do online Chinese courses. Both of these do free and paid courses, with or without certificates.

An easy alternative to courses would be on-line tutoring. Go through an appropriate textbook with a teacher over Skype. I recall that @Shelley also has some good tips on choosing a textbook. They are probably summarized in her forum blog. 

I agree with @Flickserve if you are already fluent 4 years ago a one on one tutor for a few months and something like Skritter or Anki would probably do to jog your memory and go from there. Especially if you already studied Chinese through college. However, everyone learns differently, some people learn better through structured courses.