Chinese-Forums

Is It Ok For A Foreigner To Host A Couchsurfer?

Pianote

Will be in your contract. 

Sometimes silence is the best policy. What they don't know won't hurt. They should register but should be no issues. Registration is not as strict as people make out. I moved last October and still haven't registered yet :shock:

You can get a noisy 保安 or school admin staff though at times which might cause difficulties for you. 

I didn't register when I arrived here to study in February as I went to stay with my friend first for NY. When I got to my university I had to go to the police station to register and the guy went crazy. Reckoned I was going to have to pay 500 yuan for each day I spent here without registering and maybe even have to spend some time in a prison or some shit. Only reason I got out of it was cause my mate lives in some tiny rural town and his dads a cop so he was able to say I started the application when I arrived and they just didn't complete it for me. Thank god for corruption, eh?

I agree with Jim and chTTay. Check your contract. But I would be more concerned about the person not registering. I think for one or maybe two nights you could  get away with it. 

However if it was me I wouldn't put myself at risk by doing it. Get your couchsurfer to stay at a hostel or similar then all the correct procedures can be followed.

• Like 1

And the OP must certainly know by now that even if there's nobody stationed downstairs watching comings-and-goings and nobody cleaning her room once or twice a week, there will nonetheless still be eyes everywhere. The school will know she's having a guest stay over before she shows up for work the next day.

• Like 1

Is It Ok For A Foreigner To Host A Couchsurfer?

I would never do it. Seems like it's asking for trouble. Not only could you wind up getting crosswise with your bosses at the school, you could run afoul of government regulation.

Plus it might give the appearance of impropriety whether it was an innocent act or not. As a single female teacher in a foreign land, you might find that you are held to a higher standard by locals than you think is fair. 

No need to give you critics and detractors ammunition. Best to toe the line. At least that would be my suggestion. 

• Thanks 1

As a single female teacher in a foreign land, you might find that you are held to a higher standard by locals than you think is fair. 

Gosh, I'm not sure what to say to make that more clear. Being a foreigner in China is kind of like living in a small town. Chinese traditionally look up to teachers and to see them as role models, as examples of good behavior.