Chinese-Forums

Zhongwen not working in Firefox

Shelley

I have just found out that Zhongwen has been disabled in Firefox and there is no substitute I could find. This has made me take the plunge and use Chrome. I also found Firefox was misbehaving when it came to logging in to the forums and other sites I use in the last day or so but all worked fine in Chrome.

I have always been a Firefox fan but if this sort of thing continues I will be sticking with Chrome as I need stuff to work.

You never know I might just grow to like it, I already like the print interface so maybe its not all bad.

• Like 1

Just be aware that by default, everything you type in to the address bar in Chrome is sent to Google.

Chrome is also a massive memory hog compared to Firefox.

3 hours ago, Shelley said:

I have just found out that Zhongwen has been disabled in Firefox and there is no substitute I could find.

You might find that turning off the popup dictionary makes your brain more likely to remember things :mrgreen:  Brains are lazy and take the path of least resistance.  They will happily outsource the remembering of words to a popup dictionary if you let them.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, abcdefg said:

I changed to Chrome sometime this past winter, after being a Firefox fan for a decade. For whatever reason, they just kept dropping the ball. 

Same here, I was a Firefox fan since the first day it came out but it just doesn't cut it anymore . I use chrome now but not ideal for China.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, imron said:

Brains are lazy and take the path of least resistance.  They will happily outsource the remembering of words to a popup dictionary if you let them.

I keep it turned off by default. Rarely use it, but sometimes it comes in handy. 

1 hour ago, DavyJonesLocker said:

I use chrome now but not ideal for China.

Agree. I've come to resent Google's intrusions. Especially now that I don't have bandwidth to spare. 

10 hours ago, Shelley said:

Zhongwen has been disabled in Firefox

It is working for me, and better than ever. I have the latest version of Firefox (Quantum 60.0.1) and the Zhongwen extension was last updated (automatically) to version 4.15 on 10 May. Check your settings, you may have started the browser with extensions disabled. 

The Youdao dictionary App in the Win 10 desktop also works (but Firefox disabled the browser extension, which I didn't even know I had)

You can also use Zhongwen in Opera, it has an extension that allows you to install extensions from the Chrome browser store.

I am not sure why it works for you @Luxi, for me it says it is a legacy extension and does not meet the current Firefox standards standards and has been deactivated. My other extensions/addons are not disabled except by my choice.

I am not sure if I am worried what google gets from me and it seems to run quicker than Firefox at the moment. 

As I was having other problems such as it not logging me into sites and watching videos in the browser made my display drivers crash I am prepared to give it a go.

I am running on a fresh machine as it has just come back from a complete rebuild with a new c drive and copy of windows 7 ultimate.

I have updated Firefox and am running the latest version.

I am going to go with it for a while and see how I get on.

@Shelley, you may have to delete Zhongwen from your browser and download it again directly from the Firefox store. 

I use Chrome most of the time too, it probably lets Google know more about me than anyone in my family, but I see it as benign intrusion ---- it keeps on showing me adds for stuff I already bought, the silly thing! 

• Thanks 1