Jump to content
  • Sign Up

Multiple entry tourist visa for Australians?


Recommended Posts

I'm Australian and want to live in Shenzhen for a few months to be with my GF who is working there, but aren't really interested in a student visa or teaching English (my work is remote). A ordinary tourist visa is 30 days and allows only 1 entry, so in this case I'd have to be crossing the border to Hong Kong and applying for a new tourist visa once a month which would take a few days each time and be a significant cost and inconvenience. Plus I'm not sure how many tourist visas one can even apply for in a row in any case (https://www.chinese-forums.com/forums/topic/56238-is-there-a-clear-limit-on-the-number-of-tourist-visas-one-can-apply-for-in-a-given-period/).


I see that a multiple entry tourist visa of 6 or 12 months is available for Australians, which would be ideal for me (I'd still cross to Hong Kong once a month but could return to Shenzhen immediately rather than applying for a new visa). Does anyone (specifically Australians) have experience with this? According to https://china.visahq.com.au/ the following is required for Australians to get a multiple entry tourist visa:


• Multiple Entry Applicants: 6 month and 12 month multiple entry visas are issued at the discretion of the consulate. You will be required to supply a cover letter addressed to the Consulate explaining why a multiple entry visa is required. This letter must include:
• The applicants name
• The purpose of visit
• Number of entries
• Dates of entry and exit.
I have no idea if I wrote a letter stating I want a multiple entry tourist visa because I want to visit my GF for several months would be accepted, and would like to hear if anyone in Australia has successfully applied for this. Any assistance appreciated.
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Remember that an extension to your tourist visa stay is an alternative to heading to Hong Kong. The general rule is that you can get an extension equal to your original permitted stay. So that would give you an additional 30 days if you have a 30-day stay under your visa. Usually you can do this only once, though whether there's any flexibility on this I don't know.


Of course a multiple-entry visa would be better.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and select your username and password later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Click here to reply. Select text to quote.

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

  • Create New...