Chinese-Forums

Patriotic education

abcdefg

Came across this in a newsletter to which I subscribe (Sinocism/Axios China.) 

In honor of Children's Day, Chinese President Xi Jinping wrote a letter to students at the Beiliang Red Army Primary School, located in a former revolutionary base in Shaanxi Province.

According to the English-language Xinhua report, Xi instructed the students:

"to learn from heroes and role models, to love the Party, nation and the people, and to pass on the gene of revolution with practical action from generation to generation...be useful to the country, the people and society."

Quick take: The PRC undertook a renewed campaign of Patriotic Education in the wake of the 1989 protests, and under Xi this patriotic education has become even more intense.

Here's a snapshot of my next door neighbor's front door, displaying a Mao-era inspired 福字。Of course it might be a tongue in cheek jest, a piece of "revolutionary chic" and it might not." The slogan, in smaller print near the bottom, talks about "strength and prosperity through class struggle, etc."  

IMG_20180116_102645.jpg

3 hours ago, abcdefg said:

The slogan, in smaller print near the bottom, talks about "strength and prosperity through class struggle, etc." 

Well, it just says 奋斗 without the 阶级 doesn't it? The former is used widely in a more careerist sense nowadays so I'd guess it's far more likely kitsch than a return to old values, especially as it's paired with 富强. You see the art and design of that era recouped all over the place, don't you? 

ETA Forgot to say also that class struggle is usually 阶级斗争 

• Like 2

8 hours ago, Jim said:

You see the art and design of that era recouped all over the place, don't you? 

Yes, of course, Jim. Especially in small towns and villages. 

8 hours ago, Jim said:

...so I'd guess it's far more likely kitsch than a return to old values,

You are probably right! Thanks for your analysis. 

• Like 1