Chinese-Forums

Part time job while studying on CSC Scholarship?

Nicsu

Hi everyone!

I have been reading on the forum for a while, but now encountered a question, which I couldn't find the answer for.

If I study on a CSC A Masters program, am I then allowed to work part time as well? 

Thanks - and best of luck to everyone (including myself..)! 

Not sure about the terms of the scholarship. Generally, if you’re studying, you can work up to 20 hours a week if you have the schools permission. I also believe that you now need some sort of stamped approval of this, rather than just a vague “permission”. 

• Helpful 1

Thanks! I hope the rules would not be different for students on a scholarship. The 3000 (besides accommodation) is JUST barely enough to survive. And if a student has to study for two years, without any other income during the whole period, then it could be tough. I hope to find some specific information soon.

35 minutes ago, ChTTay said:

You could always try find some 1on1 tutor work that pretty under the radar. This is usually English teaching but there could be a market for other stuff too. 

I'd say 90%+ of my classmates do this, most of whom are on the CSC. There are also online teaching platforms which are particularly popular with non-native speakers. 

A lot of my classmates also do WeChat shops, e.g. selling goods they bought in Korea or whatnot. There are modeling jobs and "business fair" jobs that usually include travel.

A lot of students also find jobs with training schools which provide a more stable source of income. I personally consider this to be riskier - there have been raids on the schools looking for illegal workers. 

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Nicsu said:

The 3000 (besides accommodation) is JUST barely enough to survive.

If you go out to eat to fancy restaurants everyday instead of having the food from the students' canteen it will not be enough for sure...

I agree with the other comments your best and simplest bet is in 1on1 teaching to avoid any problems 

If you did want to work in the school, get the proper permission from your school then work under 20 hours and it would be fine anyway. 

I know someone who is in the process of doing this now so they can work in a school as they study for a Masters here. 

Hey everyone, thanks for all the replies! I didn't mean to come across as spoiled, saying that the 3k is barely enough to survive. Having lived in Beijing during my BA (not on a scholarship), I know that 100Y per day can be quickly spent, even if you don't go to restaurants. At least for me. I am of course VERY grateful by the possibility to get a scholarship!

I will definitely look around for job options, should I get the scholarship. 1-on-1 sounds like a relatively safe way. I heard of people teaching in kindergardens, but I guess that is much more risky, if the job has not been approved by the uni etc. 

• Like 1