Chinese-Forums

University Scholarships?

tomovhell

Hi

I was wondering if people have experience of getting a University scholarship and what it involves/how it differs/why they're awarded?

I got an email mid-June from the Professor on my programme (Philosophy at Renmin) to say that the ISO had told him that because they hadn't heard anything from the CSC they weren't very hopeful (further examination of posts on this forum suggest this might've been a bit hasty?)

BUT that they were willing to waive tuition fees and nominate for a University Scholarship.

And then I got told today that I got the "Excellent International Student Scholarship" (卓越国际学生奖励金) - a 40,000 RMB award paid in a lump sum in October.

I know this isn't as much as the CSC Type B award - as I still have to cover accommodation but it seems a good deal?

But given that I have a 4.0 GPA for my MA in the UK (from a good university - SOAS) and was clearly wanted by the university - enough for them to give me this and the fee waiver - I'm wondering why I ended up with this and whether anyone else had been in a similar situation?