Chinese-Forums

的 after a verb

gbmmpe

• New Members

I'm reading my first Mandarin companion level 2 book. Even on the very first page, the grammar feels like it has stepped up a level.

So the sentence

这是我刚找到的一本地质学的书!

Is stressing me out. What is the function of 的 after a the verb 找到? I've never seen 的 after a verb like this and searching Google doesn't help.

Any explanation is welcome.

Thanks in advance.

• Good question! 2

To add to the excellent explanation above, if you'd like more examples, see here. And there are explanations for other uses of 的 here. I'm not sure what level you're at so it may or may not be premature to learn all of them, if you're at HSK3 or below then just focus on the first four articles from that list.

• Helpful 1

• 2 months later...

I am not sure if this is the same use of 的 but what's the use of 的 here in the sentence below?

When we say ‘You arrived early.’ 到的 很早。 What’s the use of   here? Also it’s not . It’s , isn’t it?

Then if I want to say ‘You woke up early.’ Is it 起的 很早 as well, or  你 起得 很早? Thank you in advance!

It should be 得 not 的, right?

Yep. But I think it's also important to note that the 的 得 地 distinction is a 'modern' convention. As such older texts will sometimes never make the distinction and use 的 for everything. While your contemporary Mandarin teacher might mark you wrong for using 的 instead of 得 and 地, this was acceptable in recent history and so I think should not be dismissed as an outright error.

If you can access youtube there's an accessible explanation of 的 - 得 - 地 on there by Chinesepod (from the Fiona and Constance days).

See also Chinese Grammar Wiki on grammar points of 的 and of 得.  If you're still a beginner just look at the ones labelled A1-A2 for now.

Thank you! I am quite familiar with the three de's and their usages. And I actually checked Chinese Grammar Wiki for ALL the entries of 的 and 得 before posting this question. At that time I was certain that  到的 很早 was the correct way to write this because it was written like that in Glossika. That's why I was asking about the usage of 的 in the mentioned sentence and hijacked this thread. I never knew 的 得 地 distinction is a 'modern' convention, like stapler said. ☺️