Chinese-Forums

Looking for a good vertical text word processor

Tomsima

Im looking for a good word processor like ms word, but is specifically designed for typing articles in vertical text, top-to-bottom, right-to-left. I currently use WPS and it works fine for almost everything chinese-character related, but I cannot find a way for it to let me type a portrait layout vertical text document. (landscape is fine, but just not what Im looking for). I'm specifically looking to type up a newspaper article in a more traditional vertical layout.

Was wondering if there is anything better out there; I have seen there is some good looking Japanese text editing software out there in pictures etc, but have no idea where to go to find it. What do others here use? Would appreciate any recommendations. 

Word 2016 / Word 365 is good at writing vertical text right-to-left, I haven't really used it much but it is dead easy to use and toggle between western and vertical script. I think the 1 or 2 earlier versions of Word also had vertical script but one had to go through Options to select it. Now it's in the Layout ribbon menu (though line breaks choice is still through Options).

It probably needs installing the Chinese proofing packages, though I imagine you already have them. What version of Word do you have?

• Thanks 1

Office 365 will give you a month's free trial and lets you do what you want (Layout> Text Direction). I wonder if the IME is going to be a hitch - I only had a quick glance, but I can't see a way to make Google Pinyin go vertical.

• Thanks 1