Chinese-Forums

Coming first time to Beijing/China from Pakistan

Hasan

I will be joining the China Foreign Affairs University (Main Campus) on Zhanlan Road/Xicheng District by 14th September 2018. I wanted to know if someone can guide me what to take care or bring with me as this will be my first time in china. I’ve read and heard about pollution problem and so on. So any advice like bringing mask, what type of clothes (weather situation ) to bring, etc will work. Also I am Muslim, so if there’s some advice related I food etc. 

Cannot speak to pollution now, but I spent a semester in Beijing back in 2010 and while it was bad, I did not use a mask, nor did I see many people wearing them.

I travel back to China every year or so, and I still don't see many people wearing masks, but I mainly travel in the summer, when I think pollution is not as bad.

As for the food, There are many halal restaurants in Beijing that are run by Chinese Muslims. These restaurants are referred to as qing zhen 清真, and many of these have a stylized مطعم المسلمين written or some other sign that clearly convey the fact that it is a halal place, such as prayer rug with Kaaba on it, or based on the clothes of the staff.

Also, as I understand it, many University canteens have halal sections, so you may want to check on that.

The thing you have to worry about in non-halal restaurant, is that even apparently meatless dishes, may actually have pork or non-zabiha product in it, such as lard (pork fat) or soup made with bones (usually pork bones).

Another issue you may want to keep an eye on, depending on how observant you are, is that most Chinese dishes will have a bit of cooking wine added at some point during the cooling process. If that is unacceptable to you, you may want to limit your food to strictly halal places.

Finally, there is a degree of disregard to others' religious believes in many people, and every once in a while, even if you specifically ask for a dish without meat or pork, youay find bits of meat in the dish, and the waiter/waitress would brush your concern off by saying "it's only a tiny bit".

• Like 2
  • Helpful 2

Agree with the above; I've never bothered with a pollution mask either though lots of people do like to use them. As well as the restaurants and canteens mentioned, you'll find a lot of supermarkets have a halal section too and even where not halal foods will be marked on the packaging.

I'd add: If you worry about your health, definitely wear a mask against pollution. The Chinese citizens are not well informed about the seriousness of pollution and most foreigners usually don't care because they stay for short periods of time. That's why you won't see many people wearing them. But pollution DOES affect you slowly, so it is something to consider. 3M brand sells the best masks. Just make sure to buy it from reputable sellers.

16 hours ago, Hasan said:

Zhanlan Road/Xicheng District by 14th September 2018. I wanted to know if someone can guide me what to take care or bring with me as this will be my first time in china. I’ve read and heard about pollution problem and so on. So any advice like bringing mask, what type of clothes (weather situation ) to bring, etc will work. 

I wouldn't waste luggage space bringing masks , you can buy them everywhere, easily found. Beijing gets cold in winter (-16C)  and hot in summer (up to 40) .

Autumn and spring and very brief.

You really don't need to bring much as it's simple to get clothes here, xicheng is a very busy place and there are clothes shops and department  stores everywhere. You won't need a single word of Chinese. 

I think we all do it though. We are a little anxious moving to a strange country and fear we won't get what we want but it's still a big (almost international) city and foreign brands are everywhere.

1 hour ago, DavyJonesLocker said:

Agree, but if you have any personal care products, such as shaving razors and cream, toothpaste and brushes, and deodorant and cologne, bring them with you if you have luggage space.

While these are readily available, I found out that the Chinese brands are no as good as the western brand, and the western brands are extremely expensive compared to the price back home in the US. But this may not apply to you, as you may run into the same issue may be in Pakista 

• Like 1