Chinese-Forums

Best way to learn transition words/conjunctions/grammatical structures?

MSG9

Hi guys!

I've been learning mandarin for quite some time (I'd say a year - on and off). While I can pick up terms quite easily when I'm being spoken to, I really have a hard time processing the language mostly because I get easily confused when there are too many transition words/conjunctions mixed in. The grammar structure is also giving me a headache when I attempt to translate. (ie. when I encounter 的/得/地/会/能 or when I encounter 和/跟/同 and the like)

Do you guys have any suggestions on how to better learn transition words/conjunctions/just-typical-grammatical-phrases? What were your personal styles in order to slowly incorporate said words into the plethora of language?

• Good question! 2

Great question.  I am looking forward to hearing what people have to say in response.  I am only a year and a half in myself, but when I think about a structure/conjunction that was hard when I first started out, compared to now, I can see a huge difference.  I think the key is both hearing/reading that structure, and using it myself as often as possible.  I am still learning lots of new structures and I frequently feel overwhelmed, and question how I will ever remember or be able to use them.  But then I felt the exact same way about things which are now second nature, and just sound wrong if used incorrectly. 

So I would encourage you just to get as much native input as possible, because the more often you hear/see these things used, the easier and more logical they will become to you. 

• Helpful 1

I’m also very interested to know more tips. I find it hard to keep up with the many more complicated grammar stuctures and sentence patterns now that I’m in pre-intermediate level. 

8 hours ago, MSG9 said:

Do you guys have any suggestions on how to better learn transition words/conjunctions/just-typical-grammatical-phrases?

How have you been learning? If you haven't already, I suggest you get a grammar book and work through it systematically. A good one to start with is Basic Chinese: A Grammar and Workbook by Yip and Rimmington. Do all the exercises and check your answers. When you can do the exercises, try making up your own sentences, and have them checked by a native speaker. Internalising these structures will go a long way towards helping you to recognise and understand them when faced with aural and written Chinese. The rest is just down to regular practice...

8 hours ago, MSG9 said:

a year - on and off

...which brings me to the next point - you need to be consistent. Every time you stop learning, all the knowledge which was in the process of gradual fortification in your mind crumbles apart and disappears, and then you have to start all over from scratch again, and never really make any progress in the long term.

• Like 2
  • Helpful 1

9 hours ago, MSG9 said:

I've been learning mandarin for quite some time (I'd say a year - on and off)

I agree with anonymoose you need to systematically work through a grammar book as described, the one anonymoose suggested is a good start.

I would like to point out that studying for a year on and off is not "quite some time". You have, IMO, just started on the long journey that is studying Chinese. It is better to do an hour everyday rather than 6 hours once a week. A little and often is good. You need to keep reinforcing what you have learnt, so constant revision helps.

I follow a textbook course that introduces grammar at an appropriate rate and has exercises and substitutions to make it stick. There is also a work book to reinforce it some more, audio to practice listening and speaking. it is called New Practical Chinese Reader.

If you prefere a different style of learning you could try HelloChinese this also introduces and teaches grammar along with all the rest you need. Have a look here http://www.hellochinese.cc/

I explain more about both in my blog - link at the bottom of this post.

• Like 1
  • Helpful 2

@Shelley @anonymoose

Hi guys! What I meant by that is that I was learning mandarin in my university for a year. We had previous three-hour weekly sessions for learning. Now that I'm out in class, I figured that it's best to continue learning. 

We used the NPCR in class. I've tried HelloChinese and Duolingo as assistance apps to help me learn. I will definitely look into Basic Chinese: A Grammar and Workbook. 

Thank you! If you have any other suggested workbooks or methods for learning, please do say so.

I recently came across an interesting study that deals with this question. The following excerpt of an article by the Guardian summarizes its findings: 

"Kara Morgan-Short, a professor at the University of Illinois at Chicago, uses electrophysiology to examine the inner workings of the brain. She and her colleagues taught second-language learners to speak an artificial language – a miniature language constructed by linguists to test claims about language learnability in a controlled way.

In their experiment, one group of volunteers learned through explanations of the rules of the language, while a second group learned by being immersed in the language, similar to how we all learn our native languages. While all of their participants learned, it was the immersed learners whose brain processes were most like those of native speakers. Interestingly, up to six months later, when they could not have received any more exposure to the language at home because the language was artificial, these learners still performed well on tests, and their brain processes had become even more native-like."

So it seems that maybe lots and lots of exposure to native material is a more efficient way to get a firm grasp on grammar than studying grammar rules.

• Helpful 2

I would continue to revise NPCR and using HelloChinese until you arrive in China ( I see you have been awarded a place at a uni according to this https://www.chinese-forums.com/forums/topic/55435-2018-csc-scholarships/?page=67&tab=comments#comment-441722  )

Once you arrive in China and start your course you will have plenty of time to practice and take advantage of being able to speak to people in Chinese and expand your learning resources.

I hope you have a wonderful time and don't forget to study:shock:

• Like 1
  • Helpful 1