Chinese-Forums

Going back to my home country during CSC scholarship

Kemian

Hi,

I am going to start my master's degree under csc scholarship next month. The first year I need to attend class but the second year is only thesis writing.

Can I go back to my country during this second year? For example from October to April ? 

Thanks 

Hi,

not talking from own experience, but I think you can. My boyfriend studied his masters with scholarship (not csc) at Pekin U and he left Beijing before his last semester started, wrote it on his own and sent it a year later. However, he had communication through e-mail with his thesis advisor and thesis defense was via skype. He didnt even go back to Beijing. I think he only had to talk with people at the international students office and tell his thesis advisor.

Good luck!

@Kemian @philippo is right. Attendance is very important for the CSC. So regardless, you would need to attend your class meetings and stick to your schedule. I've heard of cases wherein their scholarship got taken away because they had a bad attendance record. Wouldn't want to risk it. But maybe you should inquire to your university because they might have a different rule regarding it ☺

Thesis writing will still involve working with your advisor, something which, even if it weren't required, would benefit greatly from being able to meet and discuss your work/ideas/questions/topic face-to-face.  Plus, any thesis defense will almost certainly need to be done, in person.

In terms of the scholarship itself, a monthly, in person check in is typically required to continue receiving your stipend money.  Whether this check in is also considered "attendance", in the case of a term with no scheduled classes, and whether lack of said check in would result in being un-enrolled from the program, is something only your school can answer with any confidence.

Really, though, and extenuating personal/family circumstances notwithstanding, I can't understand why anyone would want to go home with a full academic year remaining in the program.