Chinese-Forums

Unmarried couple in chinese dorm

Ishakak

• New Members

Hi.

I will be coming to China from CSC. My boyfriend and I got to the same university on the same studies. 

We had no doubt that it will be possible to live in one double room together or two single ones. But is it really possible if we are not married? 

Is there a chance that if we beg or something they will let us be together in one double room? 

It seems really ridiculous that they want to seperate us like little kids when we already lived together few years .__.

1 hour ago, Ishakak said:

Is there a chance that if we beg or something they will let us be together in one double room

I'm not really sure but most unis in China seem to have separate dorms for separate genders. You may try renting out on your own. Maybe someone else knows otherwise.

From all the other things I have read on these forums this is going to be a big no no not even if you are married. You will have to live off campus from what I understand.

This is all from information gleaned from other sources not first hand so your uni might be different, why not ask someone who is at or has been to the place you will be at.

Married couples are permitted to live together (after getting University consent) even in the dormitory (if your University has no separate dormitory for females and males). One of my married couple friends stayed together for 3 years in the dormitory but it was allowed.

Unmarried couples BIG NO 

FYI, you don't need to present official papers / marriage certificates to the dorm, nor certified translations approved by your embassy/consulate whatsoever. My classmates were a couple when they were on CSC scholarship in Chengdu, and they "forged" a marriage certificate (a piece of paper on your own language with a random stamp) and gave it to the teacher who was in charge of the dorm arrangement. It was basically a white lie. No one asked them about whether it's real or not, and they could live together in the dorm. Of course, they didn't show this piece of paper to anyone official.

Funny thing is that their relationship lasted and they really got married 4 years later. 

Hi,

I dont know if this is of any use, but while I was living in one of the dormitories (a double room) I met a few couples (who became couple there while studying in China) who exchanged rooms with their partner´s roommate and ended up living together that way in the dormitories, and no-one ever said anything.