Chinese-Forums

Best UK uni for postgrad in Chinese into English translation?

Milkybar_Kid

Hi,

I'm considering doing a postgrad course in Chinese into English translation in the UK. Does anyone know the best uni for doing this? I've found a list of unis here (http://bacsuk.org.uk/chinese-in-uk-universities) and heard good things from a recent about the programme at Newcastle University, however I haven't actually applied to any of them.

I did contact a few unis and they told me that most of the students on these courses tend to be native Chinese speakers. This has me a bit worried as I would want to focus on working into my mother tongue of English. 

Has anyone completed an MA in Chinese translation in the UK. If so it would be great to read what you thought about the experience.

Thanks

I'm just about to start the Masters in translation and interpretation at bath university, and will post a review of my experience here on Chinese forums later on in the course. The course is however working both ways, not just c-e, so not sure if thats something you'd consider?

• Like 4

Heriot-Watt in Edinburgh is considered good for the more practical aspects - conference and social service interpretation, for example - rather than literary translation. Paper Republic has a list with comments. I suspect all bar maybe the more theoretical / literary courses will be heavy on the Chinese students.

• Like 1

I'm just about to start the Masters in translation and interpretation at bath university, and will post a review of my experience here on Chinese forums later on in the course. The course is however working both ways, not just c-e, so not sure if thats something you'd consider?

Looking forward to hearing what you have to say.

• 1 month later...
  • 4 months later...
On 11/7/2018 at 11:10 PM, Tomsima said:

For those interested, I just posted in my blog called "Tomsima interpreting blog', hope it helps

Any updates on how you're getting on? What do you think of the programme at Leeds University?

Its the last week of teaching next week, so im gonna sit down and try and write a structured review then once ive got the time. Quick summary: hardest thing ive ever attempted in my life

I have heard good things about the Leeds programme, especially their interpreting booth facilities, which are supposedly world class. 

• Like 4

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...