Chinese-Forums

Arrive Kunming November....Need Some Info....

mr.stinky

as the title states, i'll be arriving in kunming in november.

i'm registered with the uni, and will be staying in the dorms until i find an off-campus

apartment. my JW202 and invitation letter are in transit. i have the visa application

form and health form downloaded. i have the address, phone, and hours of the consulate

in houston. i'll be arranging for a physical with bloodwork/etc this month. i've sold

my house and most of my stuff.

now for my questions.

1) travel

i'm seriously considering coming over by freighter. seems i can catch a "slow boat to

china" out of seattle or long beach (for about the same cost as a one-way flight, possibly

even cheaper) to one of the major ports on the mainland.

how difficult would it be for an absolute non-mandarin speaker to navigate to the railway

station and buy a ticket to kunming? minimal luggage, but i may be bringing a bicycle.

or should i just fly like normal people?

2) insurance

apparently i need to buy health insurance for the duration. i've found a number of ex-pat

health policies, annual rates with renewal clauses. can anyone recommend an

affordable (yet useful) company and/or policy? (one that won't deny coverage because

the moon was full on the third evening of the second week, while the temperature was

below 60 degrees, and the broken arm occured north of the 37th parallel.)

3) clothing

so i'm coming to the city of eternal spring, and i want to limit myself to one suitcase or

backpack. what to bring, what not to bring? i assume i can leave my -40 degree

winter arctic boots stateside.

4) shots?

what sort of shots or boosters or whatever do i need?

5) misc. "stuff"

what sort of things must/should i bring that are unavailable or hard to find? medications?

dental floss? size 12 shoes? XXL gloves? slim whitman cd's?

thanks for any and all replies...i'm sure i'll have more questions as the time approaches.

1. travel. I don't think it will be that tough for you to navigate to and around the rail station. Might want to take a phrase book to make sure you get the kind of seat you want, but it seems like there's usually someone who wants to practice their English no matter where you go. Why do you want to bring a bicycle? Unless you're a really serious biker. Bikes are so cheap in China, and they have Diamondbacks and Giants. If you're taking some kind of specialty bike for mtn biking that may be different, but there's enough mtn. biking going on in Yunnan that you might be able to get sth like that there. (I know there's a mtn. biking store near Cui Hu park- not sure if they sell, do tours, or just repairs) You might want to get in touch with other serious bikers in Kunming to check out what's available.

I would worry about getting the medical done for the residency permit until you are in China (unless the university has specifically asked for it to be done and forwarded to them before you arrive).

The local PSB which will process the residency permit often do not accept foreign medical certificates. Asa result it is highly likely that you will have to repeat the tests when in China. Wait until you arrive to save money (doubling up on the tests).

1. Travel

Very easily. Most stations will have someone who speak or can read English. If not, take a map with Chinese Characters and point to Kunming. Also write down the date you want to travel (date as YYYY/MM/DD). They will understand that you want to travel to Kunming on the date you want and should give you options for tickets.

2. Insurance

Try World Nomands. We only took our medical and evacuation insurance. Getting full comprehensive (items, cancellations etc) insurance can be expensive for a 12 month period.

3. Clothing

Kunming has a temperate climate. See Yahoo weather for temperature averages

4. Shots

See a travel doctor in your home town. The national immunisation program in you home country can affect what shots you will need. Also some countries can have specific advice in relation to their citizens travelling overseas.

The travel doctor should also be able to recommend/set up a medical kit for you with basic medicines such as antibiotics, anti-dysentery, anti-histamines etc.

5. Misc Stuff

Take deodorant. Found it can be difficult to find and prices when you find it are on par/just as expensive as the west.

Also, if you are tall and/or large, you may have trouble finding clothing. I am 6'4" and had problems finding pants and shoes (foot size US11). if this is you, pack enough clothes to get buy and anything you do find in China is a bonus.

Alternatively, clothes can be tailor made to suit. Did not find anywhere like this for shoes.

Medicines - suggest that you take basic stuff as it can be difficult to translate exactly what medicines you are after.

Also look out our website as it may have other bits and pieces which may help you.

hey, thanks for the info....

according to the chinese consulate (houston, texas) website, the health cert is required

in order to apply for the x-visa. doesn't look like i have much choice in that. i currently

have health insurance, so the exam shouldn't be too much out of pocket.

i found one-way flights into kunming from los angeles or san francisco for US$550.

might as well skip the train from shanghai and just fly direct.

world nomads insurance looks very good pricewise, even when including US coverage

in case i fly back for family matters. how is this company when filing claims?

at 6'2", size 12's, i will pack extra jeans and boots. otherwise i should be fine.

any reason to bring a suit along? or is that just wasted baggage?

as to the bicycle, i'm a fairly committed touring cyclist. long-distance, loaded with

camping gear. somewhat particular when it comes to quality of bikes/components.

i have a commuter bike set up to fit, may as well bring that along on the flight.

They are "Underwritten by Allianz, World Nomads offers low cost travel insurance in Australia and over 40 other countries. With genuine 24/7 assistance anywhere on the planet provided by Mondial Assistance, the world's largest travel insurance and assistance company, and online claims and extensions from anywhere in the world while you are still away, World Nomads offers some of the best travel insurance in the world today."

I have not heard of any problems.

Most folks come into Kunming on a normal tourist visa and then change it once they are in the country. Unlike getting a Z visa, the process for getting a student visa is quick and easy and probably less hassle in China than it is applying for it from abroad. The foreigners health check here costs 200RMB and can be done in about a half an hour. The schools do not require proof of health insurance to apply for a visa in-country (having it is a good idea of course, just saying...).

Anyhow, just making sure you know your options.