Chinese-Forums

Can I give my spouse a visa?

Tianna

Hi everyone!

I have a very confusing situation, I'm an undergraduate student and I see that Master's and PhD students can bring their families and they get a family reunion visa, so my quesiton is: Is there any rule that forbids undergraduate students to bring their families or I can too get my husband an spouse visa? Also, can that type of visa be later changed to working or study visa?

He's still in China but has to go back home soon, our plan is to get married back at home during the Chinese holidays and get him an spouse visa, then he will try to change to study or working visa. Is it possible or too risky? My main concern is that I'm an udergraduate student and the time between the marriage and the visa application would be too short...

Thanks! :)

8 hours ago, Tianna said:

Hi everyone!

I have a very confusing situation, I'm an undergraduate student and I see that Master's and PhD students can bring their families and they get a family reunion visa, so my quesiton is: Is there any rule that forbids undergraduate students to bring their families or I can too get my husband an spouse visa? Also, can that type of visa be later changed to working or study visa?

He's still in China but has to go back home soon, our plan is to get married back at home during the Chinese holidays and get him an spouse visa, then he will try to change to study or working visa. Is it possible or too risky? My main concern is that I'm an udergraduate student and the time between the marriage and the visa application would be too short...

Thanks! :)

He's in China, so you're not and you want to bring him to China? Maybe you can explain a bit more clearly. So you're Chinese? I don't really see what you're trying to do.

• Like 1

@XiaoXi Sorry I wasn't clear! We are both foreigners, same nationality. I'm an udergraduate student currently living IN China and  I want to bring him under a family reunion visa. Is it permitted for undergraduate students to get their spouses a visa or is there any rule against it? And also, could he change his visa to an X1, X2  or even a working visa after a few months if he wanted so?

I know nothing about visas but I understand english and I think the intend meaning of a family reunion visa is that the reunion is of Chinese relatives.

If neither of you are Chinese then I don't see how this could apply. What visa are you on?

Hi @Shelley, yes, he could apply to that type of visa, it is S1 or S2 visa, it is made for family members visiting a foreigner working or studying in China, I'm under a student visa. According to the S1/S2 visa requirements we can apply to that visa for him but since I'm an undergraduate student Idk if there is a rule that forbids udergraduate students to do that, because  I've never seen undergrad students with their families here.

I just want to know if I as an undergrad student can get my husband a visa.

If you have a residence permit then you can apply for a family visa. You get the residence permit through work or studying full time, so you should already have this. The rules state that a Chinese national can apply for a family visa for their children or spouse (with proof) or for a foreigner living in China with a residence permit. 

Edit: I just noticed you're not married yet. In that case no, you can't get a family visa. You have to be married with proof. 

On 10/13/2018 at 7:53 PM, Tianna said:

Sorry I wasn't clear! We are both foreigners, same nationality. I'm an udergraduate student currently living IN China and  I want to bring him under a family reunion visa. Is it permitted for undergraduate students to get their spouses a visa or is there any rule against it? And also, could he change his visa to an X1, X2  or even a working visa after a few months if he wanted so?

If you're not married I don't see how he is family? Also that visa is for family of a Chinese person is it not?