Chinese-Forums

Help with these Chinese characters

Tulevik

15 hours ago, Thime said:

Hi!

天晴 tiān qíng = sunny, sunny day

Thank you, Thime! Is that a kind of chinese idiom with a meaning similar to "Well done!" or "Congratulations!"?

3 hours ago, Shelley said:

I am finding it difficult to see 晴 in the second character. I tried to work out what it might be but gave up because of this character.

I was going to say the same, but maybe it's the right ideogram written with a brush. Maybe other users of the forum could give us their opinion.

Thank you both for your response! :D

4 hours ago, Tulevik said:

Is that a kind of chinese idiom with a meaning similar to "Well done!" or "Congratulations!"?

To my knowledge, the meaning is pretty straightforward: sunny day, day with nice weather.

Part of what makes the 晴 so hard to read is that the strokes of 日 are not right. Should be 竖折横横, but instead they wrote something like 折点竖, just leaving out the bottom 横 altogether. Perhaps there is a calligraphy style in which this is normal, but to me it looks off.

• Like 1
  • Helpful 1

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 years later...

Actually it's a native Japanese word that means 'splendid, brilliant; well done, bravo' and has nothing to do with Chinese.

It's pronounced あっぱれ (appare) and is derived from interjection あわれ 'alas'.

The kanji 天晴 are merely 当て字, meaning they are borrowed for their sound value rather than meaning: あま + はれ.