Chinese-Forums

What is mathematics for foundation course like?

DarkestLight

I'm coming to China for a 1 year foundation course and one of my main subjects is going to be maths.

Here's the problem: I haven't studied maths for 4 years. I only faintly remember a few topics I covered in school which weren't that advanced (integers, algebra, etc). I'm worried I might have calculus (towards which people do not have a positive attitude XD)

Could anyone please tell me what I'll be dealing with so I can either worry less or go prepared?

It would be best if you gave more information,  e.g. where, what university or school, what level, foundation for what course, have you got the syllabus, what did the website say, what's you level now? and so on....

9 hours ago, DarkestLight said:

I'm worried I might have calculus (towards which people do not have a positive attitude XD)

Surely you must have done this in school? What do you mean by positive attitude? Calculus is used  widely in a vast number of careers,. 

I have used it consistently for 25 years  in various careers. Even things like complex numbers are used in commerical industry 

3 hours ago, mungouk said:

Doesn't your programme have entry requirements which specify the level you need to be at before you can enter?

Surely you've got a programme document that gives an outline of what you'll be studying?

The entry requirement is only high school graduate. It doesn't specify. 

I don't have a program document. It didn't come with the letter. All it says on the SICAS website is that:

Core Subjects: 

1) English Fundamentals

2) Chinese Culture and Introduction to China

3) Mathematics

4) IT Essentials (Lab and Course Work)

5) Physics/ Economics

6)Chemistry(apply to medicine)

7)Biology(apply to medicine)

etc.

6 hours ago, DavyJonesLocker said:

Surely you must have done this in school? What do you mean by positive attitude? Calculus is used  widely in a vast number of careers,. 

I have used it consistently for 25 years  in various careers. Even things like complex numbers are used in commerical industry 

I never meant to say it's useless. What I meant by positive attitude is that it's disliked by most students due to it being very difficult and complex. My friend who got an excellent grade for maths also studied calculus and she dislikes it well.

I studied maths (not calculus) till the 10th grade and after that we had we had to pick between majors (pre-medical/engineering, computer science, commerce, etc) for 11th and 12th grade. I picked pre-med and it didn't have maths as a subject. As far as I know, calculus is taught to all the majors except pre-med and arts& humanities and I suppose any other majors that has nothing to do with maths.

And what is it a foundation course FOR?   i.e. what is it intended to lead into — general science, engineering, medicine, computing?

Engineering would definitely require calculus.  Computing less likely unless you wanted to do Digital Signal Processing. 

Also... "English fundamentals", huh? 

47 minutes ago, mungouk said:

And what is it a foundation course FOR?   i.e. what is it intended to lead into — general science, engineering, medicine, computing?

It's called "Foundation Course For Bachelor's - Science". It's not anything specific. But I read that they will be sorting students into different classes and each class will have a different curriculum so maybe I will be sorted into a class that will be more pre-med than pre-eng. 

On this link: https://www.sicas.cn/Students/Info/Content_180925123635330.shtml

It says: 

Ⅰ. Highlights

1. Abundant Full and Partial Scholarship Chance

2. Pathway to MBBS or Other Degree Programs in Top Universities

3. Increase the Scholarship Chance for Degree Programs

4. Global Learning Environment & Cozy Accommodation

5. Personal Support and Tutoring 

Also I read that they added mathematics to the curriculum so that if students want to study at UIBE (University of International Business and Economics) they would be ready for it. Maybe the level of mathematics will be what they teach in business school?

For some business and economics you may do some differential calculus (depending on how deep you are going, e.g pricing models) but statistics would easily be the primary focus. It all really depends on what exactly you will be studying. MBA course might have electives for maths but it's generally not a significant part. 

For engineering it's near a guarantee you will be studying calculus

From what you write,(science foundation) mathematics will  be a part of the course. It would be odd if it wasn't,  however I think you might easily go off on the wrong track so I'd wait until you start the course and just be ready to study hard from day one. 

9 hours ago, edelweis said:

I'm confused about something. Is the MBBS you want to do afterwards taught in Chinese or English?

It will be in English.

2 hours ago, DavyJonesLocker said:

From what you write,(science foundation) mathematics will  be a part of the course. It would be odd if it wasn't,  however I think you might easily go off on the wrong track so I'd wait until you start the course and just be ready to study hard from day one. 

You're right. There's no exact way to find out except when the course starts. I guess I'll wait and when it starts I'll post the necessary details on this thread for anyone else wondering.

10 hours ago, edelweis said:

I'm confused about something. Is the MBBS you want to do afterwards taught in Chinese or English?

As edelweis says , this will be a major factor. Is Chinese related to your current or future choice of courses?

If you unsure what to do now and have time on your hands I get cracking on learning Chinese (assume don't speak,read, etc already), if for the only reason that it will make your life more enjoyable here in China. 
Are you in China already, what's your Chinese level?

3 hours ago, DarkestLight said:

It will be in English.

So are you intending to study medicine?

And does the foundation year in China mean you intend to study medicine in China?

Knowing some calculus and maths plus statistics is very beneficial for medicine. 

1 hour ago, DavyJonesLocker said:

If you unsure what to do now and have time on your hands I get cracking on learning Chinese (assume don't speak,read, etc already), if for the only reason that it will make your life more enjoyable here in China. 
Are you in China already, what's your Chinese level?

I have started learning basic phrases.

I'm not in china and my level is "none".

19 minutes ago, Flickserve said:

So are you intending to study medicine?

And does the foundation year in China mean you intend to study medicine in China?

Yes

19 minutes ago, Flickserve said:

Knowing some calculus and maths plus statistics is very beneficial for medicine

"Some calculus" is okay. I'm just worried about the more advanced stuff.

1 hour ago, DarkestLight said:

"Some calculus" is okay. I'm just worried about the more advanced stuff.

There is a limit to what can be learnt in one year so I don't think there will be advanced calculus.

Good luck in your studies. Definitely something to write a blog about. 

6 minutes ago, Flickserve said:

There is a limit to what can be learnt in one year so I don't think there will be advanced calculus.

Good luck in your studies. Definitely something to write a blog about. 

That's reassuring.

Thank you. :)

8 minutes ago, Flickserve said:

don't I know only too well! I spent 5+ years doing my Maths PhD looking a sliver of mathematics using advanced calculus every day  ?

@DarkestLight

A foundation course would just be giving you the tools to prepare for the next stage. don't get too bogged down it it, focus on the results, the why you are doing it, general understanding of the topic and you will be fine. It's very common to get lost in the detail when studying mathematics rather than focus on the application of it.  

On 10/26/2018 at 3:03 PM, DavyJonesLocker said:

@DarkestLight

A foundation course would just be giving you the tools to prepare for the next stage. don't get too bogged down it it, focus on the results, the why you are doing it, general understanding of the topic and you will be fine. It's very common to get lost in the detail when studying mathematics rather than focus on the application of it.  

That's good advice. Thank you. ^-^

• Thanks 1