Chinese-Forums

Text editors with custom language dictionaries?

mlescano

Hi! I've been using Notepad++ with user-languages to write easy-to-read stories for learners of Spanish. I load a frequency list as a user language, set the default font to red and the words in the list to black, and this way I can type away while always being aware if the words I'm using are high-frequency or not.

Since Notepad++ can only be used on Windows, I'm looking for alternatives for other platforms: MacOS and iOS, especifically. All I need is a text editor that allows me to create custom language dictionaries and gives me a way to highlight words outside each dictionary.

Thank you!

• 1 year later...

I'm not fully understanding your exact usecase. Emacs could do this, but depends how much custom emacs-lisp you're willing to write.

How do I know Emacs could do it if I don't know exactly what you want? It can do anything if you're willing to write enough emacs-lisp.

BBEdit on Mac supports custom syntax highlighting: 

https://www.barebones.com/support/develop/clm.html

You could define a custom language with whatever keywords you want and color them that way.

There’s a free 30 day trial available on their website.

On iOS, if you search the App Store for “syntax highlighting” there are a bunch of editors that support it, but I don’t know which of them let you customize your own languages.