Chinese-Forums

歇后语, 俗语, 成语 - what are the relations?

jannesan

Hi there,

I would like to understand the differences between the mentioned structures which I also don't know how to address ("sayings"?). I think I do understand what are 成语,common figures of speech related to a story and consisting of 4 characters. They convey some point or moral which is reflected in their background story. But then what are 俗语 and 歇后语? Could someone give me some examples and explain in simple terminology what are the differences?

Thanks!

Jannes:)

俗语 is a general term that comprises all kinds of sayings/proverbs. 成语 are sayings/proverbs often consisting of 4 (sometimes more) characters alluding to a story or historical quotation, in a word an "idiom". You can find a lot of them online. 歇后语 are a particular kind of sayings/proverbs in which there are 2 parts: the first part that is the introduction and it's often a bit mysterious, followed by the second part that is more explicit and represents the allegorical meaning of the first part. Often the second part can be omitted, like in the English idiom: speak of the devil (and he will appear). It often sounds like a pun.

Example: 鸡公屙屎 —— 头节硬 A cock's poo ---- the first piece is hard (and the others are soft)...it's used to ridicule someone who works hard only at the beginning and then stops. ahahah lol..I think it gives you an idea..

• Helpful 1