Chinese-forums.com
Learn Chinese in China

• Why you should look around

Since 2003, Chinese-forums.com has been helping people learn Chinese faster and get to China sooner. Our members can recommend beginner textbooks, help you out with obscure classical vocabulary, and tell you where to get the best street food in Xi'an. And we're friendly about it too. 

Have a look at what's going on, or search for something specific. We hope you'll join us. 
Nathaliw

Translation of a pendant

Nathaliw

I am also in need of translation.  I think it means courage or brave but can’t find any symbols that resemble this.  Any ideas? 

F1DFC727-693D-4643-B0C3-15B16177F89A.jpeg

Site Sponsors:
Pleco for iPhone / Android iPhone & Android Chinese dictionary: camera & hand- writing input, flashcards, audio.
Study Chinese in Kunming 1-1 classes, qualified teachers and unique teaching methods in the Spring City.
Learn Chinese Characters Learn 2289 Chinese Characters in 90 Days with a Unique Flash Card System.
Hacking Chinese Tips and strategies for how to learn Chinese more efficiently
Popup Chinese Translator Understand Chinese inside any Windows application, website or PDF.
Chinese Grammar Wiki All Chinese grammar, organised by level, all in one place.

Lu

希望 hope.

• Thanks 1

Shelley

@LuJust in case the OP needs to know and to help clarify, is that the 2 characters one on top of the other? I can see that but just want to double check as I don't want to misinform the OP.

• Thanks 1

Nathaliw

Thanks so much! Is the pendant facing the right way?  So the word hope is actually two symbols? 

lv-hang

it is a word content two letter the one is 希 next is 望

• Helpful 1

Shelley

In Chinese "words" are often made from 2 characters. There are no "letters" in Chinese.  Your pendant has 2 characters one on top of the other. It is also not as easy to see the characters as clearly as if they were printed because it has been done in an artistic way. 

The first character is xi 希 which means to hope, the second is 望 which also means to hope. This is very common in Chinese to have 2 characters that mean the same or similar to reinforce or clarify which character is meant as there many homophones and this helps avoid confusion.

Hope this helps, it can seem quite complicated but once you have been studying Chinese for a while it all makes sense.

• Helpful 1

Publius
14 hours ago, Nathaliw said:

Is the pendant facing the right way?  So the word hope is actually two symbols?

Yes, it's facing the right way.

Yes, 希望 is a two-syllable word consisting of two characters: 希 'sparse; rare; to look; to hope; to admire' and 望 'to gaze into the distance; to admire; to visit; to hope; to expect'.

Modern Chinese is largely disyllabic. Over 50% of Chinese words are made of two characters, and oftentimes these two characters have similar meanings.

Your pendant has a very smart, modern design. I also like the script it used (魏碑).

• Helpful 1

Nathaliw

Thank you so much everyone!  I appreciate all of your responses!