Chinese-Forums

Some questions on an article

fenlan

I read an interesting article recently, but still have a few questions. Can someone help?

1. 最近,信息產業部又發佈新的指令,要求所有的民間網站和個人的博克網頁必須在六月三十日前做全面備案登記。Does 博克網頁 mean BLOG?

2. 它反映了胡錦濤全面繼承毛澤東的社論治國的一貫做法,和用武力維持政治穩定的政治傳統。I can't parse this sentence. 社論 supposedly means "editorial". Does 社論治國 here mean "social theories on running the country"?

3. 如果這樣動盪的火苗一級級往上竄,再在適當的時候連成片,後果怎麼設想也不過分。竄 means "flee", but I think it must have a different meaning here, maybe "leap"? 連成片: does this mean "join up to become a connected area of turmoil"?

I checked the web and it looks like your right, 博克 means blog. I was interested because I know 部落格 is used in Taiwan. Taiwan's and China's terminology for web and tech stuff are very different. Are they doing this purposely to be different, or are they just so insulated from each other that the terms evolve independently?

1. It does

2. 它反映了 [誰誰誰 [全面繼承] 誰誰誰的[社論治國的]一貫做法],[和[用武力維持政治穩定的] 政治傳統]

社論治國 I think means ruling the country through editorials

3. 竄 is often used with flames, as in a fire 'sending a tongue of flame toward something' (in this case, upward). 連成片 usually means things happening one after the other (meaning I guess that at the appropriate time these disturbances could begin to follow a pattern).

Let me try, one by one.

1. 最近,信息產業部又發佈新的指令,要求所有的民間網站和個人的博克網頁必須在六月三十日前做全面備案登記。Does 博克網頁 mean BLOG?

Yes, 博克网页 means BLOG. But here in China mainland, we use 博客, not 博克 .

2. 它反映了胡錦濤全面繼承毛澤東的社論治國的一貫做法,和用武力維持政治穩定的政治傳統。I can't parse this sentence. 社論 supposedly means "editorial". Does 社論治國 here mean "social theories on running the country"?

Yes, 社论here means “editorial”. “社论治国” means using Press as the main tool to guide the public ideology and to stabilize the country.

3. 如果這樣動盪的火苗一級級往上竄,再在適當的時候連成片,後果怎麼設想也不過分。竄 means "flee", but I think it must have a different meaning here, maybe "leap"? 連成片: does this mean "join up to become a connected area of turmoil"?

窜has another meaning as “spring”, “jump”.

连成片 means 连成一片. The whole sentence comes from Chairman Mao’s famous word, “星星之火可以燎原 Little flames can burn up all the field.” (Here Chairman Mao wanted to imply that even the weak revolutionary flames could still turn over the old world. )

Thanks!

Thanks, carlo and student young for the explanations. Can I ask 2 more questions on a recent RMRB editorial?

1./ 在亿万人民群众万众一心、全面建设小康、构建和谐社会的今天,任何违规违法的言行,都愧对英烈,愧对无数为今天的发展奉献一生的干部和群众,都将遭到人民的反对。Does 愧对 mean "bring shame on"?

2. 改革发展任务艰巨,战略机遇不可错失。错失 means "mistake". But in this sentence does it mean "miss" a strategic opportunity?

Thanks a lot, and molte grazie for any help.

它反映了胡錦濤全面繼承毛澤東的社論治國的一貫做法,和用武力維持政治穩定的政治傳統。

反映了 胡錦濤全面繼承毛澤東的社論治國的一貫做法和用武力維持政治穩定的政治傳統.

fenlan, this is a simple sentence(单句)(also anti-government :) ) with a complex object which i have underlined.but I have to say the structure of this sentence is really awful.

First, delete the comma, there is no need to have a comma in a simple sentence. Second, the word '一贯' caused confusion and i dont think ‘做法’‘继承’are good matches. '作风' is better.‘胡錦濤全面繼承毛澤東的' ---- this even perplexed me. :nono

用武力維持政治穩定的------ it does not parallel with 社論治國的

i would like to change it into : 它反映了胡锦涛从毛泽东思想中全面继承的以社论治国的红色作风和以武维政的政治传统。

(1)so this is the trunk of the sentence:

它(S)反映了(V)做法和传统(O)

then i will add other parts step by step:

(2)它反映了以社论治国的红色作风和以武维政的政治传统。note: This is a grammatic point: 动宾短语作定语。we use a VO phrase as attributive. The words underlined are adverbials (状语)。

(3)它反映了胡锦涛以社论治国的红色作风和以武维政的政治传统。

now you can see '一贯' is related with '胡锦涛',not '毛泽东'. however the author wanted to say '毛泽东的一贯作风'.

(4) 它反映了胡锦涛从毛泽东思想中(or 从毛泽东那里-- oral expression)全面继承的以社论治国的红色作风和以武维政的政治传统。

1./ 在亿万人民群众万众一心、全面建设小康、构建和谐社会的今天,任何违规违法的言行,都愧对英烈,愧对无数为今天的发展奉献一生的干部和群众,都将遭到人民的反对。Does 愧对 mean "bring shame on"?

对,here means '面对',愧对 in detailed, 愧于面对,‘feel guilty to face sb.’

2. 改革发展任务艰巨,战略机遇不可错失。错失 means "mistake". But in this sentence does it mean "miss" a strategic opportunity?

错 has many meanings. here it means '交错,杂乱' (in disorder), acutally it originates from a settled phrase: '错失良机',失 lose 良机 opportunity, the whole phrase means 'to have lost a chance because of disorder (your mind didnt keep up with the changing world)'.

After all, there are a lot of linguists opposing this kind of phrase split since it causes perplexity.