Chinese-Forums

Are there problems with this sentence?

HashiriKata

那太好了!你夫人的菜可是出了名的好吃。

Can anyone please either translate or correct (or both!) the above sentence for me?

(I want to find out if it's easy to understand and whether there is any grammatical problem with it.)

Thanks,

'That is just great! Your wife's dishes are so good they're famous!'

Bit of a Chinglish translation, but that's what I would make of it.

I think the problem here is the 可是. Here, it's not 'but', but two words: 可 for 'could be' or for emphasis, 是 for 'is'. A native speaker would have no problem with it, I suppose.

出了名的好吃 could quite easily confuse non-native speakers I think - the 出了名的blah-blah thing isn't something I've seen before and although I think I'd understand it easily enough, it'd slow me down.

Roddy

No, I don't think you could. If this is going to be designed for learners, I suggest you just stick to a simple 你夫人的菜真好吃, perhaps 你夫人做菜做得非常好 if you want to be a little challenging. Ideally though, come up with a more interesting situation than the cliched 'Textbook character A invites Textbook character B to dinner'. Perhaps the guest could have an affair with A's wife?

I think the term 夫人 is too formal/classical. In HK/Taiwan, you should substitute it with 太太. And in Mainland, maybe you should replace it with 爱人. (Hmm...Do they still use such term?)

出了名的好吃 -- is okay and actually many people use it. It carries two implications:

(1) I heard it from your friend/relative/co-worker that your wife's cooking is great;

(2) Since we are buddies, how come your friend/relative/co-worker is invited to your house for dinner but not me?

可是 can be translated as "rather" in this case.

Actually the most likely scenario that you will speak this sentence is when your friend suggests to eat at your place on your expense, your counter-suggest to eat at his place on his expense with food cooked by his wife ..............