Chinese-Forums

Current turn-around time (UK) for Z-visa?

mungouk

I've got an interview on 4 January for a post in Beijing. I will be in the UK Jan-Feb, but I have prior and unmovable commitment which means flying out of the UK (to Thailand) on 4 March.

If (optimistically) I heard on 5 January that I'd got the job then that only leaves 39 working days to get all the paperwork in order, notarising of qualifications and FCO apostille, criminal record check, medical check etc., applying for the actual visa and finally receiving my passport back before I have fly out of the UK.  

So, the question: those of you from the UK who've been through this recently — is it remotely possible to get this done in the time? 

It's stressing me out just thinking about it.

EDITED DATES: they have now agreed to bring the interview forward from the original date of 18 January to the 4th, which gives us 39 working days but I'm still a bit worried.  I guess I could make a head-start by getting police checks and qualifications notarised ahead of time?

I got a Z-Visa in London in the summer, and it took about a month to get everything together, from the point where I applied for the CRB from Disclosure Scotland. I wasn't interviewed by anyone though, and I was expected to bring all those notarised, apostilled and Chinese consulate legalised documents with me to the visa centre once my employer here had applied for my work permit in China and sent me the piece of paper saying that. It's hard to give a time frame because the documents needed seem to vary based on where you're working in China, and probably the kind of job you're applying for.

• Thanks 2

• 2 weeks later...

@YordLama — which type of disclosure did your Chinese employer require?  (Basic, Standard, Enhanced, PVG?)

I'm thinking of getting started on this pro-actively to save time.

Just checking back on the last Disclosure Scotland cert I had (for a teaching job in Scotland), I had Enhanced Disclosure back then.

Also — do Chinese visa applications require police checks from every country you've lived in the past N years?  If so, what is N?

Thanks

Thanks for that. 

I just noticed that applying for basic disclosure online needs your passport number.  I'm just about to renew my passport, so the number will be different.

My old Disclosure Scotland cert doesn't seem to have my passport number on it, but a more recent UK ACRO police check does.

Do passport numbers appear on Disclosure Scotland certs these days?  I can imagine that causing a problem if my number is different.

OK I just applied for basic disclosure from Disclosure Scotland, and these days you can do it entirely online (for basic only). 

https://www.mygov.scot/basic-disclosure/apply-for-basic-disclosure/ 

It costs £25 regardless of level of disclosure required, but for the other options (Standard, Enhanced, PVG) you need to request a paper form and apply off-line.

I have lived in loads of temporary addresses over the past 5 years, in 3 different countries, but was relieved to see there's an option to specify "no fixed address for over a month" and then you can give a reason. 

(I wish I'd known this before I had ended up sifting through Airbnb records and old emails to find all the old addresses!)

Also, last time I did it, I found out you don't need to get it notarised. If you phone them, they'll give you address you can send the document after you receive it, and they'll put a stamp on it verifying its authenticity for free.

• Like 1

As far as I’m aware an individual can only apply for a basic disclosure from disclosure Scotland. If you need a more detailed one it has to be the employer that requests it. 

And i’m fairly sure everyone has to head to disclosure “Scotland” because no one in England offers the service online and to individuals. 

• Like 1

10 hours ago, ChTTay said:

no one in England offers the service online and to individuals. 

Last time I applied for an ACRO police certificate (2015) you had to fill in a paper form, but it appears you can now do it online at https://www.acro.police.uk/Police_Certificates_Online.aspx 

It costs more than Disclosure Scotland — £45 for 10 working days or £80 for 2 working days turn-around, compared to £25 for DS.

The email I got from DS says "Disclosure Scotland will process your application and aim to post your certificate within 14 calendar days."

On 1/1/2019 at 1:57 PM, mungouk said:

I just applied [online] for basic disclosure from Disclosure Scotland

FYI... that was Tuesday, and I just received my certificate through the post this morning (Saturday).

I can confirm that it doesn't have my passport number on it.