Chinese-Forums

Is Chinese text on webpages already segmented?

webmagnets

When I go to an English language web page and long press on a word, it will highlight the entire word. I can understand how the browser or OS knows where the word starts and finishes because it has spaces.

However, with Chinese it still knows where the words are. When I long press on the 大 of 大家, the entire 大家 gets highlighted. How does that work?

Can confirm this is the case, yes; AFAIK all major OSes now include some sort of Chinese word segmentation support, though not every browser / text editor necessarily taps into it.

The default approach (used by anybody without the AI chops to do better) is to use ICU's dictionary-based word segmenter, which finds possible breakdowns using a Chinese word list and then picks the most likely one based on word frequencies. (pretty much the same thing we do, though our dictionary's bigger because we're not asking OEMs to devote flash storage to it on a billion devices ?)

• Like 4