Chinese-Forums

question on the usage of 可

oo

What struck me was the use of 依 in an otherwise very colloquial sentence. Or maybe I just never catch it.

As to 太, I've known a couple of people who seemed addicted to it. In a sentence like this, they'd strongly emphasize the tone drop.

我看//个人////////前途

• Like 2

I heard 可太难了 several times.

Just a quick search of my wechat history and it pops up a few times.

As @889 says the 依我看 seems out of place to me in that type of sentence but when I think about I personally don't hear it in colloquial speech. 

Just to add, is it just me or does anyone misuse the tone for 太 in these situations . I keep using a 2nd tone as one might do in English for emphasis. Do native Chinese still use 4th tone always  for this situation. Perhaps I'm missing hearing it.

timacro has given 3 good examples.

可太好了!≈这实在是太好了

他可坏了!=他坏的很/他很坏

他可太能说了!≈他实在是太能说了

As rephrased, 可 can roughly equate to either 实在是 (when there is an adverb (太) modifying the adjective) or 很 (when 可 itself modifies the adjective), ie. 可 may has two different domains (broad and narrow).

Also worth noting here is that 可 can be used (and it's actually an pivotal part) in satirism, while 实在是 cannot.

eg1. 哟!这可太好了呢!(imagine the speaker rolled his/her eyes)

eg2. 他的歌可好听了!我差点没听出脑膜炎来!