Chinese-Forums

Heavy-duty literature classes?

fenlan

Are there any courses in China that focus purely on literature? I mean reading whole books - not extracts or newspaper articles, but whole books of literature - character by character around the class? I mean, like a Ba Jin's Jia class, aiming to read it all through, no matter how long it took. It may be ambitious to say so, but I would also be interested in classes to read early vernacular novels, character by character, all the way through. I see 红楼梦 stretches to 1372 pages in the Renmin Wenxue edition for schools. Assuming 38 weeks in the academic years, and a class every single week day, that would equate to 7 pages a day to read the lot. Students could prepare 7 pages every night and then ask lots of questions in a 2 hour class session. Does such a course exist? 三国演义is shorter, at 990 pages.

There was a course in the MTC of National Taiwan Normal University that did exactely that, read the Hongloumeng. I don't think they read the entire book character by character though, I think they read some parts of it. It was with Wu Taoyuan laoshi. The class probably won't be there every semester, if you think about going there you'd best ask the MTC first.

Well, in my opinion, i dont think there a course aiming at only one book which is taught word by word. Most of the classes are covering works on a special subject or time. Even if you are doing your graduate essay on a book, you might have to refer to other books as well.