Chinese-Forums

Localisation of games into Chinese seems to have turned a corner (inc. game recommendations)

StChris

StChris - Your post is an example of why I like this forum, i.e., participants have very diverse interests and knowledge.  It's a learning approach I hadn't considered (but I could see it being very effective if the game is very engaging).  

On a broader level, this approach could be good for kids too.  My teenage daughter had no interest in learning a 2nd language, until she started to listen to KPOP and other Korean entertainment.  Now, I'd like to find a way for her to learn Korean.  

• Like 1

Nice idea creating this list. I'm always looking for an excuse to play games and call it studying. 

Another one I came across a while ago was 古剑奇谭三(Gujian3) https://store.steampowered.com/app/994280/Gujian3/. I haven't actually tried it because I thought I'd come back to it at a point when I am able to spend time playing without needed to look up every other word. 

Isn't Startcraft 2 also available in a fully Chinese version?

• 2 weeks later...

StarCraft 2 is indeed available with mandarin voice over as well as subtitles.

IIRC it was a bit of a pain to set up though -- Chinese version needs online log in, and if you already have a western account or license number those of course won't work.
This is from memory though so I may be misremembering.

As a suggestion, can we also mention which of these games have voice over and whether it's simplified or traditional Chinese etc, where known? Because it's relatively easy to find lists of games with any Chinese translation of any kind, but harder to find lists of games with actual Chinese voice. And e.g. I bought Detention before finding it was just traditional Chinese (at least at that time), which isn't useful for me.

On 1/30/2019 at 6:15 PM, roddy said:

Happened to notice 中国式家长 / Chinese Parents is 30% off on Steam today, if anyone was tempted. 

This game looks very interesting but I am getting only a very vague idea off Google Translate. A few questions:

1. At what HSK level is it suitable for? I'm halfway to HSK 3 now. How difficult is the Mandarin?

2. How does it exactly help in English Mandarin learning? (typo)

3. Is it voiced?

I'm getting a feeling it's a hugely popular Indie title in China so I'm guessing it's gotta be good, but why? I've no idea.

HSK is pretty foundational Chinese, so even some kids’ games would be HSK 5 or 6 (I was pretty surprised at how many new words I learned from playing Mario RPG and Zelda games in Chinese). That said, it shouldn’t necessarily deter you from playing a game if your level is lower. It depends on your motivation and patience to look up new words and phrases while playing the game.

Personally, I didn’t bother looking up everything in the middle of game play. I would just take a screenshot of a new word and keep playing until I ran into a situation where not knowing what something meant stymied my forward progression. After I put the game down, I’d slowly look up all the unfamiliar words in my dictionary and add them to my flash card database.

Most games have a somewhat specific vocabulary, so the further you get in the game, the fewer words you have to look up. Once you’ve gotten past this hump, the game becomes more enjoyable and less of a chore.

Here is a playthrough video of 中国式家长: https://youtu.be/wexeDrKB4Bg. Presumably it shows all the important screens in the game. You can pause the video at various points to see how much of the interface you can understand at your current level.

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, feihong said:

Here is a playthrough video of 中国式家长: https://youtu.be/wexeDrKB4Bg. Presumably it shows all the important screens in the game. You can pause the video at various points to see how much of the interface you can understand at your current level.

Many thanks for the link. I think I'll just buy the game since it's rated highly.

46 minutes ago, feihong said:

HSK is pretty foundational Chinese, so even some kids’ games would be HSK 5 or 6

I tend to think so since I find that even at mid HSK3, it's still covering the basic characters. HSK1-3 should just be grouped together as HSK 1 and then go on from there. It's somewhat misleading in using HSK exclusively to gauge one's Chinese. It's really a very rough measure... better than none I suppose. But as you said, even some kids game requires HSK 5 and 6, so... as a measure of proficiency, I'm feeling it's a bit inadequate.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, roddy said:

If you like, start a new topic to tell us about it and we'll see if we can help out with any language problems...

Indeed. I might do just do that or a review depending on how far I get. It seems quite interesting and from the comments I hear, there's a lot of insider meme or jokes that would only get lost in translation.

12 hours ago, Mijin said:

As a suggestion, can we also mention which of these games have voice over and whether it's simplified or traditional Chinese etc, where known? Because it's relatively easy to find lists of games with any Chinese translation of any kind, but harder to find lists of games with actual Chinese voice. And e.g. I bought Detention before finding it was just traditional Chinese (at least at that time), which isn't useful for me.

Yeah, even restricted to just drm-free games that are playable on Linux one can still easily find hundreds of games with Simplified Chinese translations of text using GOG search filters.  Although the Steam/GOG stores make it easy to filter on games with Simplified Chinese text they don't let you filter on just Mandarin audio (although if you look at a game in either store it'll tell you if it has Mandarin audio).  Hands of Fate 2 is another game that seems to also have Mandarin voice (with simplified Chinese text) -- haven't played it though.

• Helpful 1

21 hours ago, agewisdom said:

1. At what HSK level is it suitable for? I'm halfway to HSK 3 now. How difficult is the Mandarin?

2. How does it exactly help in English learning?

3. Is it voiced?

I also bit the bullet and bought this game (I am paying so much for Chinese lessons, that punting 50RMB every now and then to try out an alternative is a no-brainer).

I've only played for a few minutes at this point, and it's too soon to say how much audio it has. But I can say the language level is approx. HSK6.

I can tell it is using what a native-speaker would consider to be simple Chinese. But from my perspective (I can pass HSK5 past papers though not comfortably), there are lots of characters that I don't know.

• Like 2