Chinese-Forums

What this word means?

Alyem

Something along the lines of "in all, seven bodies buried under seven pines on 鵝眉山" which reads Mount Emei and might be a typo for the famous 峨眉. Wondered if 七兜松 might be a place name too but nothing showing on a quick search, or even if it's some allusive way of saying "coffin",  but taking it literally.

• Thanks 1
  • Helpful 1

Two are place names to my knowledge (first and last, the latter being the name of a county in Gansu not known for out-migration AFAIK) but no idea if the intent is to mention some ancestral home, not a custom I'm aware of. Were they taken somewhere in SE Asia?

1 hour ago, Jim said:

Were they taken somewhere in SE Asia?

Yes, it was taken in Malaysia. All the old wooden houses would have hang those sign on top of the main door. 

Always wondered what those signages stand for? 

If it for the clan, why not having their surname on it? 

When Google, its not a place or village name. 

39 minutes ago, Alyem said:

When Google, its not a place or village name. 

Did you read right to left? 江夏 is a district in Wuhan (ETA and just checking an ancient county name in that part of Hubei too), might be an ancestral home; by same reading I got 天水 for the last picture, which as I said is a county in Gansu (ETA and perhaps a smaller place elsewhere?). All my dictionary gives me for 豫章 is a type of mythical tree but not a stretch to imagine a village somewhere going by that name, not that I could find any mention. Any chance of popping in a house and asking? It is intriguing.

豫章

"最初...即豫章郡(治南昌县)"

In ancient times this name indicated 'Yuzhang prefecture' (overseeing Nanchang county)

"今天,豫章指南昌地区,是为南昌的别称、古称"

"today Yuzhang refers to the area of Nanchang, used as an alternative, classical name"

南昌豫章街道辦事處

• Helpful 1

Does this signages still in practice in China? Or never before? 

Did asked before, the younger generation have no idea what the signs age. They just leave it as it is since their grandparents days from China. 

Moving to new housing area would not have the signages anymore.