Chinese-Forums

Chinese Style Temple in London

amytheorangutan

I’m not sure where I should post this question so hopefully it’s OK here. I’ve been trying to find Chinese style temple in or around London, where there are normally a few gods/godesses statues such as Guan Yu and/or Guan Yin and others and you can burn incense and leave fruits/food on the altar etc and tipically do your own thing at your own time. I grew up going to these kind of temples in SE Asia and when I moved to Australia there were a few of them around as well but I haven’t been able to find one in or around London. Whenever, I search for Chinese temple, google always points me to buddhist temples like Fo Guang Shan.

Am I just really bad at searching for information? Anyone know of these kind of temples around London? I just like visiting them once in a while and burning some incense as these type of temples are normally quite calming when you visit outside of important festival dates and also we don’t have to come at a specific time and sit together or do anything like that and normally it’s maintained by a family or someone who live in the temple and not by monks so it’s more casual.  

• Like 1
  • Good question! 2

Amy, I don't know London well enough to be of any direct help. But just wondering, have you thought of posting to Tripadvsior (the London Forum.) Might find someone there who knows. Maybe try some other travel forums too: Thorntree (at Lonely Planet,) Fodors, etc. 

More general forums like Quora and Reddit sometimes can help with things like this as well. 

• Helpful 1

On ‎3‎/‎15‎/‎2019 at 4:48 PM, amytheorangutan said:

Whenever, I search for Chinese temple, google always points me to buddhist temples like Fo Guang Shan.

What do you mean by "Chinese temple"? Most Chinese temples are Buddhist temples. Or do you mean Confucian and Daoist temples?

In my mind, "Chinese temple" refers mostly to the Chinese style of building, regardless of what religion it is affiliated with.

Hi @anonymoose Sorry, I don’t know exactly what they should be called that’s why I had to type 2 pharagraphs to explain what they’re like haha. The ones I used to go to I’m almost certain were not buddhist temples maybe more confucian/daoist.

@abcdefg Thanks! I will try Tripadvisor and reddit. I tried searching those forums before and couldn’t find anything. I guess I just refused to admit that there might not be one in London.

Yup, I think the one near Oxford Street is foguangshan and the one in Wimbledon is also a buddhist one. 

If you are in London and your Chinese is up to it, why not wander down to Gerrard St. and visit London's China Town. Pop in to the bookshop and see if they can help or just ask about in any of the shops or restaurants.

Even if they don't know it won't be a wasted journey as it is a great place to visit.

9 hours ago, amytheorangutan said:

I will try Tripadvisor and reddit. I tried searching those forums before and couldn’t find anything. I guess I just refused to admit that there might not be one in London.

Searching these forums probably won't be enough. Better to join and post your question. 

On 3/17/2019 at 4:08 PM, amytheorangutan said:

The ones I used to go to I’m almost certain were not buddhist temples

On 3/15/2019 at 5:48 PM, amytheorangutan said:

gods/godesses statues such as Guan Yu and/or Guan Yin

https://simple.wikipedia.org/wiki/Guan_Yin

Guan Yin (also Kwan Yin) is the bodhisattva of compassion and mercy. She is venerated in Mahayana Buddhism, Vajrayana Buddhism (where she is known as Avalokitesvara), and sometimes Theravada Buddhism.

If you haven't visited them yet, I suggest you try the Buddhist temples anyway, and see whether you like them.