Chinese-Forums

HSK deck for anki?

JenniferW

I've not studied Mandarin for several years and want to revise by using anki for testing myself on characters. In the past I made my own deck, but would you recommend any of the ready-made ones? I literally want to go back to the lowest level and work upwards, to see how much (or little) I can remember.

• Helpful 1

You can check the anki "get shared deck" list. There are all sorts on there.

The good thing is that they can all be customized to your own specific needs. 

However given your are just getting back into Chinese I recommend Iook at PLECO flashcards . Although I'm heavily invested in anki and have highly customized decks, if I was starting from scratch I'd seriously consider PLECO due to the inclusion of example sentences and better definitions. As you progress you will really find that CC-CE Dict just doesn't suffice. 

Plecos main issue I find is no windows based programs ( very useful for putting a spreadsheet -> Text -> import to Anki  ) and no ability to sync to a server like Anki. It has less fictionally too. I.e just reserved for Chinese. Creating a deck with pictures  images is not possible (e.g all provinces in China)

I would have to second the Pleco suggestion, its more than just flashcards, it is an excellent dictionary platform. There is also a very helpful Pleco forum where you can find ready made decks. If there isn't a deck to suit its really easy to make your own. I would have a look here as they explain it all better than I can. http://www.pleco.com/

You can try the free version but its a very reasonable price and well worth it, buy the basic package to start with and as you become familiar with it you can buy addons and dictionaries to suit.

Welcome back to studying.

I got as far as the old HSK 4, so I'm really just after some straightforward testing of my memory of characters, as to where to go back to, to pick up on this.

I've tried one of the decks available, but it's not working for the obvious (to me) thing of starting at the bottom of the levels and working up one by one.

I was going to go back to anki because I used it for several years, so the format's familiar for me but I'll look at what else you're suggesting. When I was using anki before, I made my own decks, to work with the material I was using. In due course, I'd probably do that again.

9 hours ago, JenniferW said:

I've tried one of the decks available, but it's not working for the obvious (to me) thing of starting at the bottom of the levels and working up one by one.

which deck is it? Maybe you have to go to deck browser and suspend all tags wih HSK2-6  if you want to start at the beginning (HSK1). Or perhaps set the SRS to show new cards "in order added" rather than random order (it they were orignally sorted in order of HSK1-6)

Its very dependant on how the deck was set up originally

I've downloaded the Hanping Chinese HSK deck and think it'll do what I want. When I go into browsing the deck I can see all the HSK level tags, but cannot for the life of me work out how to get it to just show me the HSK 1 characters (for example).

• Like 1

3 hours ago, JenniferW said:

I've downloaded the Hanping Chinese HSK deck and think it'll do what I want. When I go into browsing the deck I can see all the HSK level tags, but cannot for the life of me work out how to get it to just show me the HSK 1 characters (for example).

Is it Hanping Chinese HSK (1-6) deck?

Best do it on PC then

• Download the deck (Hanping_Chinese_HSK_1-6.apkg), double click to import into ANKI
  • Open Browser
  • Click on 'Hanping Chinese HSK' deck (left hand side)
  • click on any card in the window. (The top window bar (right hand side) should show "deck:Hanping Chinese HSK" )
  • Select All (CTRL A)
  • click SUSPEND, all rows will turn yellow
  • in the window bar add the text 'tag:HSK1' so it will show "deck:Hanping Chinese HSK" tag:HSK1
  • 600 rows should be displayed (150 of the HSK cards x 4 card types )
  • Select All again (CTRL A)
  • click SUSPEND again, all 600 rows will back to white (i.e. unsuspended)

when you want HSK2 included as well,  just change the search to "deck:Hanping Chinese HSK" tag:HSK1 OR tag:HSK2  (1200 cards will be shown) and click SUSPEND (to toggle the 'suspend' action on /off)  

and you get the idea ....

• Like 3

• 3 weeks later...

DJ - I've been away and am only now trying to sort this.

• I got as far as SUSPEND and couldn't find that as an option anywhere.
  • How do I delete the unselected deck I'd already got up and running in anki - again, I can't find an option for doing that.

I feel so rusty! But now I've decided to do this, I really do want to.

1 hour ago, JenniferW said:

I got as far as SUSPEND and couldn't find that as an option anywhere.

In the 'ANKI Browser' select all 20,000 cards (CTRL+A) and click SUSPEND 

Anki 1.JPG

We can see that ALL 20,000 cards will be suspended and the rows will have turned yellow 

Anki 2.JPG

Now you want to unsuspend wirth the tag HSK1 (thus leaving HSK2 to 6 still suspended), so add tag:HSK1 to the search 

Anki 3.JPG

As before select all 600 cards (CTRL+A) and click SUSPEND 

--> so in effect you are unsuspended the cards (the button acts like an on-off toggle, like a light swtich ) 

Anki 4.JPG

These 600 cards rows will turned back to white. Notice the 'due date' column enteries are not enclosed by a ()  

Anki 5.JPG

Close the Browser and choose this deck for study. You can see 600 new cards are ready for study  

--> to illustrate I ammended the new cards from its default 20 to 1000 per day 

Anki 6.JPG

1 hour ago, JenniferW said:

How do I delete the unselected deck I'd already got up and running in anki - again, I can't find an option for doing that.

Anki 7.JPG

Note

1. ANKI seems quite complex initially but is very powerful, I really would encourage you to stick with it. As you get better at Chinese the benefits are great.

2. take you time ammending the cards (in Browser) to get the hang of how to create your own cards. see an example in   i highlighted a bit in yellow. You can change that to 26 etc if the font is too small. This deck is particularily complex so you can start with a much easier one to practice on

Anki 9.JPG

3. As you can see my main deck is called "All Words" but i have done nothing in days so I will suspend several hundred to make it manageable. The other decks I ignore but no reason to delete them given I have created them and added a lot of code. The only other one I regularly look at is Characters, allows me to write hanzi (again I usually keep this to about 50 so I will suspend the other 100 tomorrow

• Like 3
  • Helpful 1

• 3 weeks later...

Thanks so much for all the help! I'm in the midst of another course so have only just had another go at sorting it - and I've now got it running OK.

I loved using anki before, but made my own deck so never had to learn this stuff. But this is working - telling me quickly what I can remember and what I half-remember, etc.

For the moment, this initial testing of my recognition of characters is enough but the next step will then be to relearn writing them.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, JenniferW said:

the next step will then be to relearn writing them.

Have you tried TofuLearn? It is remarkably flexible and seems to do everything you want and more: it has lists for all HSK levels and for many textbooks and vocabulary topics, you can also easily import your own lists. The lists are organised in clusters of 50 words and you can select which cluster to work on. Add notes, pictures, and find links to example sentences websites as you practice.  It offers different practice modes as well as a learn mode which is great for writing new characters. TofuLearn is free (but voluntary support is welcome and well deserved), and is truly multi-platform: it works with PC browsers(Windows at least, probably Mac and Linux too), iOS and Android. - and you can keep all platforms and devices perfectly in sync.

This page tells you everything one may need to know to start using it:

https://www.tofulearn.com/my/help

As a systematic character-forgetter, this is the one app I always go back to, I find it the easiest and fastest to use for writing practice and for re-learning forgotten characters.

Edited by Luxi
  • Helpful 1

• 2 weeks later...

Thank you for the suggestion to use Tofulearn!

At present I'm working through HSK1 using anki for character recognition and Tofulearn for writing, and it's a very nice combination.

With Tofulearn for the writing, I keep getting flashbacks to starting to learn to write Chinese (many, many years ago) and my teacher who was a stickler for good quality, well balanced characters! Tofulearn's such a stickler for making your marks in just the right place. later on, I spent some time in caligraphy classes, and have a sense one of those teachers is almost looking over my shoulder.

• 1 month later...

Can't believe I'm back again!

Everything went well till last week, when suddenly what I was being presented with switched orders, apparently randomly. I'd been using Anki for reading / recognition, was being presented with character, and the 'answer' would be pinyin plus English. Suddenly, some items were presented as pinyin.

I deleted the deck to go back to square one, but am still getting this with the newly downloaded deck. How do I remedy this?

• 4 years later...
On 3/16/2019 at 9:48 AM, mungouk said:

StickyStudy (for iOS and Android) has ready-made decks at all HSK levels for both characters and words. 

I find the visual design more pleasing than Anki.

Hello, I want to download this Stickystudy app but has it been deleted from the App Store? I think the app is no longer downloadable. I need it 😕