Chinese-Forums

How do you create flashcard videos?

Jan Finster

I wonder if someone can help: I would like to create my own video flashcards with audio (can be google translator voice). It can be similar to this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N5Ogkpk_LTU

What is the easiest and fastest way to do this?

I would like to use this to review sentences I learned on the go.

• 2 months later...

Technically, I'm not sure I'd classify these as "flashcards".  The idea with flashcards is that they allow you to test yourself.  The video you link to shows you characters, pinyin, English and pronunciation all at the same time, meaning there is nothing left for you to actually have to recall for yourself.  All the research shows that the learning is in the retrieval of information, all this method is going to do is remind you of characters, meaning and pronunciation.  And being reminded of a thing is not the same as learning a thing.

Unless, of course, you're doing this for some reason other than learning, in which case ignore what I said and I'm sorry but I can't help you.

2 hours ago, somethingfunny said:

Technically, I'm not sure I'd classify these as "flashcards".  The idea with flashcards is that they allow you to test yourself.  The video you link to shows you characters, pinyin, English and pronunciation all at the same time, meaning there is nothing left for you to actually have to recall for yourself.  All the research shows that the learning is in the retrieval of information, all this method is going to do is remind you of characters, meaning and pronunciation.  And being reminded of a thing is not the same as learning a thing.

Well, call it what you will. By playing them in the car or while I am cooking, I listen to them and the sentence patterns (etc) will get burned into my memory. I do believe a lot in passive learning as an addition to actively working with "flashcards". You could even let the program read a sentence to you in English and before the program reads the same sentence in Chinese you can say it aloud to yourself. So, in that way, it does "test" for something. 

But I agree, this may not be useful to everyone.