Chinese-Forums

Any suggestions on Xiangsheng

Mig

Hi everybody, dajia hao,

I wonder if someone recommends xiang sheng as a source to learn intermediate Chinese. I have been watching Guo degang and xiangsheng you xin ren competition. It seems these performers learn by heart quite a lot in terms of literature, language, argot, singing and Chinese opera. Anyone who has learned something about this type of performance. Any suggestions or sharing experiences are more than welcome.

Thanks

Xiangsheng is pretty advanced and all the clever word play has limited use in daily life. I also notice that they really speed up when they get to the punch line, so it's probably better for advanced learning. However, if you enjoy it, then absolutely go for it. Your enthusiasm will motivate you to study and practice, and your Chinese friends will definitely be impressed and/or appreciate your interest in this aspect of their culture, even if they themselves are not fans.  There are so many cultural and linguistic niches to explore in your pursuit of Chinese. Though I think the daily application is limited and it's for more advanced learners, I would encourage rather than dissuade you from this interest  - after all, we're more likely to excel at what we enjoy!

• Like 1

On 4/19/2019 at 12:34 PM, Mig said:

I wonder if someone recommends xiang sheng as a source to learn intermediate Chinese.

Might be more appropriate for learning advanced Chinese. Lots of puns and double entendres. Lots of obscure literary and classical references. 

It would be kind of like deciding to study Peking opera as a way to improve language skills. Doable of course, but not the shortest road between the starting point and any kind of actual proficiency. 

you might be interested in this book:

新编趣味汉语

本书是我社出版的《趣味汉语》的修订版,把汉语的口语语法点、生词等融合于相声、对话、小话剧中,生动形象幽默。

This is the new edition (2006).

I attached a sample the previous edition (1991 / 1995). I think it suitable for lower intermediate.

quweihanyu.thumb.png.e8bb2846d7d2aabe4237843ce1609411.png

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...