Chinese-Forums

Western Scholar literature on Xiang Sheng (相声)

yedafu

Hi everybody, 

I'm writing my M.A thesis on the Chinese Comic stage are called Xiang Sheng(相声) and almost all of my secondary literature on the subject is in Chinese(which is great) but i also need some western scholars who wrote on this topic, i know that Perry Link wort some article about it, but other then him there seem that not much was written in the subject, would love for some references if you happen to cross by. 

thanks,

Not much. 

Du, S., Wan, X. and Ye, Y. (2017) ‘Towards Automatic Generation of Entertaining Dialogues in Chinese Crosstalks’.
‘China and Inner Asia - Crosstalk and Culture in Sino-America’ (1995) The Journal of Asian Studies. Ann Arbor: Cambridge University Press, 54(2), p. 549. Available at: http://search.proquest.com/docview/230399694/.
Cai, S. (2017) ‘Guo Degang A(Cross Talk) Performer Bridging the Gap Between(Vulgarity) and(Elegance)’, Asian Ethnology. Nanzan Institute for Religion and Culture, 76(2), pp. 343–365. https://asianethnology.org/downloads/ae/pdf/AsianEthnology-2052.pdf
Hung, C.-T. (2013) ‘A Political Park: The Working People’s Cultural Palace in Beijing’, Journal of Contemporary History. London, England: SAGE Publications, 48(3), pp. 556–577. doi: 10.1177/0022009413481828.

I haven't read any of these, just did a bit of searching. I love the idea of AI generated crosstalk. Perhaps Alexa and Siri can do the 春晚 next year. 

Edit: The references to the Guo Degang article look to have a few useful suggestions. 

• Helpful 1