Chinese-Forums

Chinese language leather patch

gary morton

• New Members

I recently purchased the attached leather patch.

I was told that it was made during the korean or vietnamese war and was designed to be attached to the back of pilots flying jackets.

I think it is a message to any persons that capture the pilot saying that a reward will be given for the safe return of the pilot.

Can anyone give a quick translation?

Regards

Gary Morton

chinese language patch.pdf

Hello and welcome to the forum.

Its an interesting question, unfortunately the image you posted is a pdf and needs downloading. 

It would be easier for people if you attached the image using the forum tool.

On a phone you may have to show as the desk top version or you may have to use a desk top PC. In the reply window bottom left click on choose file, this allows you to browse your computer, find the image and click open, then follow the instructions.

I would like to see your picture but I would rather not download it to my PC.

Hope this helps.

Good to know it's called blood chit.

But clearly this is a fake, done by someone who knows nothing about the language or the script.

A translation is impossible, because it's not Chinese, just an impressionist imitation of Chinese writing.

• Like 1

Kunming has one or two collections of these in the "Flying Tiger" section of local museums. One museum, in particular, the city museum 昆明市博物馆 on Tuodong Road 拖动路,has a section which pays tribute to aviators of the AVG (American Volunteer Group.)

Pilots flying the "Burma Hump" used these "blood chits." Kunming was one of their main air bases. It was used for training local Chinese pilots in addition to the repairing of plains, re-stocking supplies and so on. These flyers provided a critical lifeline for mainland China after the Japanese cut the Burma Road.

I once saw a couple of original leather "bomber" jackets displayed that had these sown on the back. One was sewn outside, the other was sewn inside. They were part of a private collection that was on show here for a couple of weeks, several years ago.

As a popular "collectible" item, many fakes exist, as Publius pointed out. Real ones go for a whole lot of money today.