Chinese-Forums

Flashcards: English to Chinese (vs Zh to Eng)?

Jan Finster

I wonder if and how much time you guys spend studying flashcards and the like in the "English to Chinese" direction? I am currently doing almost 100% "Chinese to English". While I feel my passive understanding is quite good (somewhere around HSK 3-4 with gaps), my active speaking skills are elementary at best. I wonder if studying  "English to Chinese" would help improve active vocabulary and speaking skills.

English to Chinese flash cards will help with production because it will associate English meanings with Chinese words in your mind.  I have my SRS set up to make two cards each time I enter a new word or sentence - one that is Chinese to English and one that's English to Chinese. 

• Helpful 1

20 hours ago, ZhuoMing said:

I have my SRS set up to make two cards each time I enter a new word or sentence - one that is Chinese to English and one that's English to Chinese. 

I do exactly the same. Pretty easy to set up on Anki. 

I used to only use words but now I always use sentences.
I get a lot of example sentences from lecture notes, the books I study and grammar guides online. 

I used the Chinese --> English to get familiar with the meaning of the new words.

Then I use the English --> Chinese to practise the grammar and translating. 

Since I started using sentences I've noticed a huge improvement in retaining vocabulary and grammar.