Chinese-Forums

Blogger--Blocked in Beijing?

kailin

I've just arrived in Beijing and gotten my internet hooked up and I am alarmed--I just tried to log on to my blog on blogspot.com and got an error message. The same thing happened when I tried to open several other blogs hosted by Blogger. A quick Google search seems to suggest that Blogger is blocked in China. Is this really the case? Could it possibly just be the fact that I am using my school's internet (Tiyu Daxue)?

I am really not enjoying the idea of relocating my blog. But it seems I may have to. If blogger is indeed blocked, does anyone have suggestions for some sites that hosts that can be read in China? Diaryland does work right now, but I am nervous that the some higher-up will change their mind and it, too, could be gone in a flash for China bloggers and readers.

Unfortunately, while I did pack the Idiot's Guide to Creating a Web Page, I don't have the skills or time to start my own site at this point. If anyone has advice or experience with this issue, please share!

kailin

How frustrating!! The last time I lived in China, which was four years ago, I really didn't have any trouble accessing virtually any site. I really wasn't anticipating this. I just tried to read an article about the block, and the site with the article was also blocked. And I just typed in Amnesty International's site--same thing. I'm sure this is no news to you, Roddy, or anyone else who's been living in China recently--excuse my need to complain.

Thanks, Roddy. I just tried out Anonymouse and it worked for me, as well. It will be a good interim tool. In the long run, I think I will try to move my blog to a new host--I hate the idea of people here in China with me not being able to (easily) access it.

Kailin

I would guess Chinese providers would have their admin and navigation in Chinese, which could be a problem for many. Also, an internet crackdown in China could see your blog shut down properly, rather than just inaccessible from China.

The most reliable way still seems to be to pay for your own hosting and set the site up on that. Costs, obviously, although not a great deal. Adopt-a-blog might be worth a look though.

Roddy