Chinese-Forums

Another brick in the firew*ll this week?

mungouk

Yeah, me too.  it certainly seems to be getting easier to connect now that we've passed that landmark. Although that Beta client is quite buggy.

As to the question (paraphrased): "if they can, why wouldn't they just lock it down all the time?", I guess this is how you maximise your leverage as a totalitarian state... in practice the threat of the action has much more power than actually carrying it out.

Tokyo 1 is a pretty decent connection for me at the moment. 

I've noticed a few youtube videos starting up on auto with low resolution, but switching it manually to higher works OK for me.

On 6/9/2019 at 6:55 PM, imron said:

Don't know what 90's you were living in, but there wasn't much in the way of streaming video back then :mrgreen:

I honestly can't recall the first time I streamed. I just have a vague memory of tiny windows in very low resolution. Wasn't there even a little bit of that in 1999? It's hard to imagine an internet without streaming now.

I distinctly remember xmas day 1997 when I streamed a short BBC News broadcast even though I was using a 9600bps dial-up modem.  (OK, it might have been 14k)

And yes, the video was the size of a postage stamp, as it played on my Toshiba 486 laptop, but it was a glimpse of the future...

2 hours ago, StChris said:

Wasn't there even a little bit of that in 1999?

RealPlayer had streaming video in 1997, but it wasn't particularly great.  Back then even streaming audio had problems if you were on dialup.

Napster came out in 1999.  Bittorrent in 2001.  Youtube in 2005.

• Like 1