Chinese-Forums

Canto characters - how to input them with Zhuyin or Pinyin?

Amdir_Flassion

Without Mandarin pronunciations of Cantonese characters, does anyone know how to input them in the computer using Zhuyin or Pinyin? I am very lame at Changjie (is that a way?), and the way I've been inputting Canto in the computer is via copy and paste from other websites.

This question is obvious, just learn the Mandarin way of romanization of the Cantonese characters, it's going to be hard though. I'm a native Cantonese speaker but whenever I came across a computer with Pinyin IME only, I just gave up typing any Cantonese. Pinyin can only be input effectively only if you use Mandarin as your tool of thinking.

Definitely you should give Cangjie a try. It's not that difficult as you may imagine, and you can always cheat by using Simplified Cangjie.

Many cantonese characters are just a normal character plus a "mouth" on the left. An easy way to type them is just to put a lower-case "o" on the left of the normal characters (no space between them). Another way is to use a writing board input method which can recognize the characters when you write them on the board.

Some cantonese characters cannot be displayed properly. In such case you may have to download some ... thing. (Sorry, not sure about what.)

I'm not sure now whether OP was talking about the uniquely Cantonese characters, or inputting standard Chinese via Canto pronunciation.

If the latter, I think the Unionway IME has Cantonese pinyin of some sort. But there is no real standard scheme, so you're probably better off learning proper Pinyin as Pazu says.

There are Cantonese pinyin input methods to download, but don't bother, they work less than perfectly. Use an input program such as Unionway that lets you add new words to its 字库 and assign customized pinyins. Try searching for "粤语"+"输入法"+"下载" on google.

• 2 years later...