Chinese-Forums

Need some Mandarin phrases

Nibble

My cousin recently returned from China with his new wife, and she had a child shortly thereafter. I'm going to see them some time in the next week, and I would like to know some standard Mandarin phrases for congratulating marriage and childbirth. I figured that she would appreciate hearing them, especially since she doesn't speak much English. I myself only know a little Mandarin, having taken 101 two terms ago; I can pronounce pinyin correctly and know the readings for about 200 hanzi, and I know a few basic phrases.

The baby's Chinese name is 周文洁 -- NJStar Chinese says it's pronounced zhōu wénjié, but I'd like to verify that with someone. Apparently there is a different word for every position in a family, so I'd also like to know what kinship term I'm supposed to use for her (she's my mother's brother's son's wife).

I would ask my cousin, but he's extremely busy at the moment, and I doubt I could get a response from him in time.

According to the excellent guide in the back of the 《剑桥汉英双解词典》,the correct form of address for your mother's brother's son's wife is 表嫂 (biao3sao3) if your mother's brother's son is older than you or 表弟妹 (biao3di4mei4) if he's younger.

And yes, zhou1 wen2jie2 is correct.

Speaking a little Mandarin would definitely be appreciated, especially at a congratulatory occasion like this, but try to make sure you get the tones correct (you might want to try posting some audio samples like other members have done). Though most people would appreciate the effort even if your pronunciation wasn't perfect.

祝你们新婚愉快、白头偕老

zhu4 ni3 men2 xin1 hun1 yu2 kuai4, bai2 tou2 xie2 lao3

congratulations for your marriage, which will last for ever

恭祝喜得千金

gong1 zhu4 xi3 de2 qian1 jin1

congratulations for getting a nice girl

恭祝喜得贵子

gong1 zhu4 xi3 de2 gui4 zi3

congratulations for getting a good boy

I would like to know some standard Mandarin phrases for congratulating marriage and childbirth.

congratulations - 恭喜你們 (gong1 xi3 [becomes xi2 here] ni3 men)

the baby is very cute - 孩子很可愛 (hai2 zi hen3 [becomes hen2 here] ke3 ai4)

the baby is so cute - 孩子真可愛 (hai2 zi zhen1 ke3 ai4)

the baby takes after you/the father/the mother - 孩子長得像你們/爸爸/媽媽 (hai2 zi zhang3 de2 xiang4 ni3 men / ba4 ba/ ma1 ma)