Chinese-Forums

Intermediate TV Programs without Subtitles

jiaojiao87

Hello,

While trying to work on my listening skills, I have a hard time finding TV shows, etc. that DON'T have hardcoded subs.  I find that when subs are present, I have trouble ignoring the subs, and almost feel like I'm working on my reading speed more than anything.  Netflix has movies with toggleable subs, but tend to like long-running programs to work on listening and understanding comprehension.

For example, if I'm watching 家有女儿, 非诚勿扰, or 爱情公寓 on youtube, I have a pretty solid understanding of what is going on.  I just am not sure what my understanding would be if I weren't exposed to those hardcoded subs, and would like to work on that.  It seems that Chinese programs almost always include hardcoded subs, unfortunately.

Any suggestions?  Most postcasts I've found tend to be a bit above my listening comprehension (like 故事FM).

As @zander1 said, there is some benefit in just covering the subtitles physically. A little piece of paper covering the bottom of the screen on your tablet should do it.

Another method is to select videos and movies with subtitles in a language you don't understand. In my case, I just select Indonesian subtitles, which for some reason, I'm able to ignore easier than English, even though I can read them.

There are other methods, too.

One of my Chinese teachers, a Japanese guy, had a little app on his Apple iPod he used to cover the subtitles of videos and movies he showed us in class via the tv monitor in the classroom. The height and location of the cover was adjustable. But this was ten years ago and part of the Apple universe I have no experience with, so I don't know how to find it now. Sorry...

TBZ

Thank you.

Maybe I'll try to find something androidy in the play store later today. Actually, I'm glad the OP bought this question up. Maybe there's an existing app out there somewhere.

TBZ