Chinese-Forums

Quick Question Regarding Names

DolphinShapedCloud

• New Members

Name: Yanglin Fen

Characters: 杨林芬

Desired Translation: Willow Forest Fragance

Could I make use of it in its pinyin form?

I Shall thank you in advance, drunken scholars of this nonsense language i cannot understand.

-DolphinShapedCloud

"Could I make use of it in its pinyin form?"

Are you asking whether the Pinyin name would sound OK in English and be spoken OK by English speakers? If so, I think it would: it is one of those names that pronounces pretty well at sight in English. But assuming Yang is the surname, I'd write it Yang Linfen.

• Helpful 1

• New Members

Thank you for the response and suggestion! And what I've meant is: "Is it realistic to have Yang Linfen as a name?", but looking back, that doesn't really matter at all, I'll just be choosing names that I find myself comfortable with.

-Thank you again anyway-

Don't make an ass of yourself. People here are trying to help you by explaining the conventions and rules followed by Chinese when choosing acceptable names. Characters and their combinations make a big difference when viewed in a social and cultural context.

Japanese and Chinese share the same cultural history, however, the character combination 手纸 means letter (missive) in Japanese, but means toilet paper in Chinese.

Putting together two English words like Golden Lotus or Golden Lilies (金莲) may sound good to you, but to a Chinese, it is the traditional term for bound feet, with all the historical erotic implications and suffering the practice involved. 

Choosing the wrong combinations just makes you look like another "mysterious Far East" "kung fooey" commando like the boneheads with nonsense tatoos I see hereabouts every single day.

Anyway, enjoy yourself...

And don't forget to let us know what name you choose...

TBZ

By the way, by Kaoyu Fen did you mean the smell of grilled fish???

Edit: I removed a misstatement that proves I can make an ass of myself, too.

• Helpful 1

• New Members

I will try to do so, After all, Making a question isn't bothersome at all, but it's still hard to find great names that I find myself comfortable with.

And Sure I'd make use of a name with erotic implications, just for the laughs.

(What I meant by Kao Yufen [Which I probably could change to Kao Yu] is Roasted Fish Fragance, which means basically the same thing, but much more elegantly. Which i guess proves your point. +1 for BigBazoon)

• New Members

Sorry for bothering you all again. Here are the names:

Names: Hanzi (Pinyin) [Desired Translation]

1. 蔼林 (Yang Ailin) [Willow Lush Forest]
  2. 林薇(Bai Linwei) [White Forest Ferm]

I shall thank the literate immortals in advance.

• 5 months later...

the second one gives me a sense of girls in chinese. so plz think twice

蔼 once meant lush but now it's commonly used to describe the elderly as kind and amiable. also it sounds like 矮(short) so I personally don't recommend this. 

once again when someone's looking for a chinese name plz considering the following things

1. ask a native Chinese speaker whether the name you've chosen is fit for the male or the female

2. ask a native Chinese speaker whether it has got a similar pronunciation to some words that have bad meanings (plz ask native speakers because they know the buzzwords better than most of the chinese learners or teachers in non-chinese atmosphere. if the name pronounces similarly to some buzzwords it'll be more embarrassing) 

3. don't use the meaning from classical chinese 文言文, they may have a different meaning now.