Chinese-Forums

Translation of an old chinese board

eyall

余初因眼病继因疟疾服药过多致成气血两虚之症,虽屡经延医调治亦未见效。浸润且发生盗汗、失眠、遗精、气喘等恶现象,中心惴惴,常恐因是成痨旋淂。先生诊视初亦平平,厥后始大见效,现病已去十之七八矣。感激之余愧无以报,特书此以留纪念,并绍介焉

田世光先生

惠存

功叁造化

Lit.

I, originally because of eye disease then because of malaria, overdosed medicine, leading to a medical condition with both Qi & Blood becoming too weak. Although repeatedly sought medication but had not seen good results. (soaking..medical condition) and night sweating, insomnia, nocturnal emission, asthma etc severe conditions, anxious and worried, often afraid caused by (some very serious fatal condition). Doctor's (Your) diagnosis/remedy at first was also ineffective, but then started to see huge results, now disease is gone 70-80%. In addition to thanks, ashamed of not being able to repay you, so specifically wrote(made) this letter(board) as a memento, and recommended (you to others).

Mr. TianShiGuang

Please keep (this letter/board) safe.

(Your) Accomplishment (cured my disease) like God's blessing (Grace).

I would like to add more.

I've got it for someone that told me it's about 100 years old. Nothing else is known...

Indeed. You can see at the foot left corner there is some word “民国 the Republic of China From 1912 to 1949”.

2 All the characters are decently written in 颜体Yan style (Yan style, one of the four basic calligraphies styles for a beginner to practice calligraphy ). The whole letter is written in a quite formal and bookish style. It implies that the man who wrote the letter was a well-educated one.

3 It is interesting that in this letter, there is a name 田世光. I remember that there was someone named田世光 born in the Republic of China, who is one of famous contemporary painters in China. He is good at painting birds and flowers in 工笔 Gongbi style (Gongbi style is the traditional Chinese realistic painting. In Goingbi style, painters pay more attention to details of the objects in their works in order to express the natural beauty in these objects, such as birds, flowers, insects, fishes etc and arouse the worship to nature in people’s mind. ).

Sorry, but I just don’t know whether the 田世光 in the letter is the same one I mentioned.

On the left side, some words are like “弟 周? 玉荣题” (Sorry, I can’t see the characters quite clearly on my screen. ). So I don’t know whether Mr. Tian introduced a good doctor to someone or someone introduced a good doctor to Mr.Tian?

Thanks!

Hi again,

First of all - thanks for all of you who helps me to uderstand the meaning of what I'm holding. It's really exiting to know that it has a wonderful story behind it.

Attached more pictures from the left side of the board, which havn't been readable on the first picture.

Is there any date or name of a place on it?

Thanks a lot!

Eyal.