Chinese-Forums

Chinese-English Translation

李爱

Hi there! 

Can someone help me check my translation please! I feel like it is right but it might be wrong at the same time ?

First:

中国政法大学法律专业大学毕业,现在警察局工作。
My translation: Is China University of Political Science and Law, Law major graduate and currently working at a police station. 

Ps: should it be A police station or The police station? 

Second: 

This university is directly owned by China.

My translation: 该学校是中华人民共和国教育部直属高校。

Hope someone would help me! Thanks in advance ?

It should be A police station - they don't know which specific police station you're working at, and the specific police station you're working at is irrelevant.  Of more concern is the lack of subject in your English translation - I assume you are talking about yourself when you say "Is China University...".  It's OK to do this in Chinese, but not OK in English.  You'll need to change it, depending on the context, so that it is clear that you are the subject, or so it at least doesn't have that strange "Is" hanging there at the start. 

I assume you're asking about your English version for the second one, rather than the Chinese.  There is probably a technically correct term for 直属 that a professional translator would use, but "owned by China" doesn't make much sense.  Probably something like "...is under the direct control of the Chinese education ministry".  Still though, it's not really clear what this means, or what alternative to this there could be - how many universities in China are not 中华人民共和国教育部直属高校?

1 hour ago, somethingfunny said:

I assume you're asking about your English version for the second one, rather than the Chinese

No actually the chinese translation is mine, I'm asking about my chinese translation for this English phrase, I tried to understand the meaning for this phrase and all I got was a State-owned university which means publick university "at least that's what I think the English phrase means" ,do u find my translation right or relevant to the English one?  Could u tell me the correct term for 直属 if possible? 

Ps: I'm still a student ?

1 hour ago, somethingfunny said:

Is China University.

Forgot to write it, Sorry!  ?

What I meant to say is:

He is China University of Political Science and Law, Law major graduate and currently working at a police station. 

My question about this part is "Law major graduate" is it right?  Or should I say "graduated with a degree in law"?

2 hours ago, 李爱 said:

My question about this part is "Law major graduate" is it right?  Or should I say "graduated with a degree in law"?

I would re-write the whole sentence as 3 separate short ones. Chinese does not use comas the same way English does. Its always safer to construct short sentences rather than try to create long rambling ones that are hard to follow and open to misunderstanding.

I am thinking that your first language is not English. I am wondering do you go from Chinese through your first language to English?

直属    means directly subordinate

So we have:-

He graduated with a Law degree from the Chinese University of Political science and Law.

He is currently working at a police station.

This is a State owned University.

• Helpful 1

@Shelley first of all thank u so much for ur help! 

28 minutes ago, Shelley said:

do you go from Chinese through your first language to English?

No actually I don't! I just go from Chinese to English and the opposite, as I'm trying to improve my written English as well! 

Ur answer was very helpful ?

28 minutes ago, Shelley said:

This is a State owned University.

What I'm actually translating is this English phrase:

This university is directly owned by China.

And my Chinese translation is 

3 hours ago, somethingfunny said:

中华民共和国教育部直属

Which I'm not sure if it's the actual meaning of the original phrase, but I did my research and that was the nearest thing I found to the original meaning, so could it be right?