Chinese-Forums

What gift from the US would most likely be appreciated in China?

Moshen

I've given things that were handmade in my country and have the marking to prove it, e.g. a hand-bound leather book with the binder's signature and location, several types of silver jewellery with English hallmarks, children's toys from the 1960s and 70s with "Made in Great Britain" on them, Wedgwood pottery, and once someone asked me for my English-made bowler hat, but it was the wrong size for the recipient so was rejected.

On 8/13/2019 at 11:43 PM, Brian US said:

Bring MAGA hats, Chinese people LOVE Trump.

This is a bad idea. Yes, some Chinese people did find him amusing, but since the trade war started this number has most likely gone down substantially. 

10 hours ago, mungouk said:

Humour is dead.

Had a co-worker send out a request list for office supplies, and I requested this chair (picture attached). She asked me for the link on where to buy it, and needed another co-worker to explain the joke to her.

Office chair.jpg

On 8/14/2019 at 5:43 AM, Brian US said:

Bring MAGA hats, Chinese people LOVE Trump.

You jest, but you know what... think of the Mao memorabilia. I almost think, for the right person, something like this might be a decent gift. A novelty / curiosity. "Lao Zhang, we all know how much you like to talk to us all about politics... well..."

3 hours ago, roddy said:

I almost think, for the right person, something like this might be a decent gift

I’m from the U.K. and even i’d like one of these! Hilarious. 

I dislike Trump immensely. I just think that medal is so naff ?

Well, since the T-word has already come up several times...

"What gift from the US would most likely be appreciated in China?"

How about cessation of the trade war that's already seen Chinese stocks lose more than 30% of their value?  That would go down pretty well.

I've thought about buying one of the Whitehouse "gifts", but I've never actually put thought into something that I would hate to look at for 5-10 years before I appreciate the value...

Edit - I've actually put thought into it, and I just can't, even for historic sakes.