Chinese-Forums

What does this Chinese character mean?

lostboy

Hi,

First of all, I want to apologize if this is rude or unappropiate to just go out and ask a favor like this so plainly. But I have no other idea how to figure this out, as I do not speak Chinese or have or know of any resources at all to translate a character. I am hoping someone will be generous enough to aid me. I will be so grateful.

I have a glass decoration that was given to me a long time ago. However, I would like to now give it to my friend, as she just got her own place and I think she would love it. Especially if the character matches her. I speak Japanese (but not the best), and I discovered the character to mean "high" in Japanese. But I'm not sure if this is referring to potential or charisma etc. She is a really free, charismatic person, so I'm hoping the item matches her.

I have taken a webcam shot of the decoration. I am open to opinion. Thank you so much!

chinese_character.jpg

(gāo) - Chinese (gao pronounced in the first tone)

高い (takai) - Japanese (as the main reading) or kō (long "ko") without the letter い (i) in compound words. If you speak some Japanese - takai is a very common word: この高い建物です。kono takai tatemono des. (it's this tall building)

Thanks for the responses everyone. They all confirm my thoughts.

I know, it seems the only Chinese characters I've seen used decoratively like this are "peace" or "joy" or "luck" and so on. I wonder if this is some sort of Americanized item? If you know what I mean.

Of course interpretation and meaning and value all depend on the eye of the beholder, but would you guys still think this a feasible gift to a friend? I don't want to give her something that I wouldn't believe in.

I am open to more opinions, and thanks a lot for the previous ones.

As I don't know where you're from, I don't know about local customs, but I (German) have been taught not to give away something that has been given to me by somebody else.

But then again, I have also been taught not to cross the street when the lights are red and not to make noises while eating...

I suppose it must apporiate her ,because in Chinese, high is just the literal meaning, in addition to that, Gao can extend to many other meanings.

Gao is a adjective, so different match give different meanings .

"地位高" means "high position"

"主意真高",means "good idea",etc.

Nearly all words refered to Gao has the active meaning, so it must be a good present.

• 4 weeks later...